Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$118,000.00
The ransom note advised the Ramseys to collect $118,000.00 as a ransom.  Since the Ramseys were worth several million dollars, their business had just been noted in the news as having hit a BILLION dollars in sales in that year, the amount is almost silly.

But the number had to mean something to the killer.

BORG theory has it, and most BORG insist, the 118 was a reference to the bible.  They say that was Patsy's favorite Psalm (though Patsy and John said otherwise).  They say it describes the murder, a religious sacrifice, but I honestly don't see it. 

If it WAS a religious sacrifice, does the BORG really think it would involve a sex assault and ransom note?  I sure do not.

If a religious sacrifice - - - isn't that something a person would WANT "on the record"?  I mean, the blood of an early Jewish sacrifice of a lamb was used to mark the door as a sign to God - and everyone else, right?  What good to kill a sacrifice and blame someone else for the act?  Sorry, just makes no sense.  Patsy wasn't in a cult, the parishoners sacrificed money and time and talent, not their kids.  (And JonBenét wasn't even a first born!)

BORG confuses me when they are so sure Patsy asked for that amount because of some... assinine theory like that one.

118 might be a date, a weight, a house number, the number of miles traveled that day. Only the killer knows for sure.
I think it is of interest that $118,000.00 in the denominations that were specified would be about 5 inches high. What would one need an adequate size attache case for this. It could almost be put in two coat pockets.

This is a little off subject but the ransom note has two distinctions that are odd. SBTC is typed with one hand except for the periods. Also the note itself contains every single letter of the alphabet. The two that are used the least are q and v. That was taken care of by writing "adequate size." J was taken care of at the end by using "John" 3 times. Probably means nothing but it is odd. One other oddity that I have not seen discussed. In the note at the top of the 2nd page it reads "and hence a earlier pick-up." This is grammatically wrong. It is "and hence AN earlier pick-up."
People have asked how anyone would have known the amount of John Ramsey's bonus for the year 1995. I can think of three ways.

1. Someone at AG shared the secret with the wrong person.
2. Every paystub printed after John got the money in the beginning of 1997 listed that bonus. He left those stubs out where someone looking for information might find it easily.
3. In the Jaguar car were some papers that should have been locked away - including a list of bonuses given to John and other AG executives. Someone could have gone into the car and found that information.
Number 2--

John admitted he kept this unlocked in his desk at their house. Including his w2. IMO, the killer had enough time to search through all this stuff. He could have walked by the desk and started going through his paperwork.
From Steve Thomas' book:

A handwritten ledger reflected his increasing wealth over the years. Later I would find records showing that as of May 1, 1996, Ramsey had assets of $7,348,628 and a total net worth of $6,230,628. Total liabilities were an even $118,000, and the similarity of that figure to the ransom demand jumped out at me.