Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
adult male approaching young children
Ad content was partly D.A.'s work
Letter to the Editor
Tuesday, May 13, 1997
The Daily Camera accidentally omitted a line from a Guest Opinion that was published on Sunday, May 11 by Stephanie Hult: "Beginning in fall, 1997 a strand will be implemented in Lafayette Elementary School ... " I have learned that a misunderstanding has occurred with respect to an advertisement placed in Sunday's Boulder Daily Camera offering a reward for information leading to an arrest in the JonBenet Ramsey case. The advertisement, which referred to the possibility of " ... an adult male approaching young children in Boulder in late 1996," was placed by the Ramsey family based on information developed in my office. I was not informed until this weekend that this information was to go into the Ramsey advertisement.
As I have said all along, it is my intention to approach this case with an open mind, which means all leads are being carefully pursued, as they must be in any investigation. We believed the suggestion that Boulder families be asked to recall whether they had seen anything unusual at the time of the murder was reasonable, so one of my lawyers authorized the Ramseys' attorneys to use this language in their advertisement.
The response Friday to several reporters who asked for reaction from the District Attorney was that we would have no comment. We see now that this understandably caused some in the news media and the public to believe that this ad was the work solely of the Ramsey family, when in fact, it was partly the product of our commitment to follow all reasonable leads.
I urge any citizen with information about this investigation to contact the Boulder Police Department at 440-7867.
ALEX HUNTER
District Attorney
Boulder