• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cina Wong
Cina L. Wong, B.C.D.E.
Court Qualified Board Certified Document Examiner
1131 Granby St. Norfolk VA 23510 U.S.A (757) 622-9606 fax,622-9585
E-mail: NOFORGERY@aol.com

Quote:
Quote:
Qualifying experience in scientific examination and identification of signatures, handwriting, handprinting, typewriting, page substitutions, seals, water-marks, erased, obliterated and altered writing in documents, numerical/diacritic marks, inks, forgeries, specialization in photocopy paste-up forgeries, specific computer dot matrix/laser printers, anonymous letters, and disguised handwriting.
Training includes(definitely not limited to), College accredited course with Larry Zieglar, a former FBI Document Examiner and a specialized course with John W. Hargett, Chief Document Examiner with the Secret Service.

Curriculum Vitae and General Resume
BORN:
Quote:Mountain View, California October 26,1962.
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
Quote:San Jose State University
San Jose, California                                                                 1990
Bachelor of Arts Degree. Undergraduate course work includes: psychology, sociology, and ethics.
College of San Mateo
San Mateo, California                                                                1984
Awarded Associate of Arts Degree.
COURT EXPERIENCE:
Quote:Court qualified as an expert witness in State. and Federal courts.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS:
Quote:National Association of Document Examiners (NADE)
Delaware                                                                                  1991 -current
Offices held: Professionalism Chairman(1995-1997)
                    Membership Chairman (1997 - 1998)
                    Vice President (1998 - present)
Quote:Northwest Fraud Investigators Association (NWFIA)
Tukwila, WA                                                                             1998-current
"An organization founded in 1929, with a purpose to secure the cooperation of those interested in the location, apprehension, and conviction of persons defrauding the public." (NWFIA)
BOARD CERTIFICATION:
Quote:    As quoted from Court TV: "Cina Wong...the youngest Board Certified Handwriting Expert in the history of the National Association of Document Examiners (NADE)." Board Certification obtained in 1995 through extensive written and oral testing.
TRAINING:
Quote:International School of Handwriting Sciences
San Francisco, California                                                         1990
Completed a six month program in handwriting Sciences with Questioned Document Examiner Ted Widmer.
International School of Handwriting Sciences
San Francisco, California                                                         1991
Completion of an advanced course in Questioned Document Examination. Involved methods of forgery detection, case studies, hands on equipment operation/technique and court qualification procedures.
Signature Identification
San Francisco, California                                                          1991
A study of:. various techniques used to verify signatures, recognizing different forms of forged signatures, use of equipment to aid in handwriting I.D.
Effects of Health on Handwriting
Sunnyvale, California                                                                 1991
Taught by Patricia Wellingham-Jones (an expert in identifying health related conditions and medications affecting handwriting).
David Liebman, MA, BCDE (President of N.A.D.E.)          1992-1995
Advanced training. Mentorship program offered by N.A.D.E. (National Association of Document Examiners). Study of new techniques and procedures in the document field, court appearances, preparation of court exhibits, use of forensic examination and magnification equipment, typewriter identification, dichroic inks, copy machine forgeries, forensic and document photography.
COMPLETION OF COLLEGE LEVEL COURSE IN QUESTIONED DOCUMENTS:
Quote:Northern Virginia College
Annadale, Virginia                                                                     1995
Instructed by Larry Ziegler, at the time, current Questioned Document Examiner for the FBI.
CONTINUING EDUCATION:
Quote:Andrew Bradley's Forensic Document Examination Course
A 20 lesson course which entail subjects, such as: The mechanics of Handwriting, Proper Procedures for Obtaining Exemplars, Identification of Hand Printing, Disguised Writing, Forgeries, Photo Copy Examination, Typewriter Identification, Anonymous Letters, Document Photography, Examination of Ink and Paper, Writing Instruments, Erased and Obliterated Writing, Use of ESDA...
RELATED EDUCATION:
Quote:Private Investigator Licensing Course
Virginia Beach, Virginia
In-depth state accredited sixty hour course taught by Vince Tortomasi (past Norfolk, VA Police Officer).
SPECIALIZED COURSE:
Quote:Document Examination
Bend, Oregon                                                                             1998
Handwriting analysis course instructed by John W. Hargett, the Chief Document Examiner for the U.S. Secret Service. He has been a Handwriting Expert with 31 years experience. Mr. Hargett has also headed the Secret Service International Forensic Training program and has lectured at the U.S, Secret Service Questioned Document Course since 1989.
RESIDENT TRAINING SEMINARS ATTENDED:
Quote:NADE Conference 1991 (National Association of Document Examiners)
Los Angeles, California
Workshop participation in: Ink identification by well-known ink chemist Izzy Lieberman, Document photography, Guidelines for taking exemplars, Preparation of courtroom exhibits, Mock court, Forgeries.
NADE Conference 1992
Atlanta, Georgia
Workshop participation in: Typewriter identification, contracts, Paper/Watermark identification, Case studies, Document photography, Depositions and Court qualification, Photocopy identification, Computer generated documents and alterations, Forgery and Facsimile machines.
Quote:NADIE Conference 1994
Concord, Massachusetts
Workshop participation in: Information on the current Federal Rules on expert testimony, Case studies, Introduction to new document examination equipment, Variations of courtroom exhibits, Forensic document photography with new advances, Counterfeit money, Handwriting of anonymous letters.
NADE Conference 1995
San Antonio, Texas
Workshop participation in: Cross examination, Personal check security, Disguised writing to defraud. Examination of writing under liquid paper correction fluid, Professionalism and research resources, handling of valuable documents.
NADE Conference 1996
Baltimore, Maryland
Workshop participation in: New research and advanced techniques in Pattern Recognition, Exhibit Preparation, Unusual Variations misidentified as significant Differences.
Quote:NWFIA Conference 1998 (Northwest Fraud Investigators Association)
Bend, Oregon
Forensic Document Examination sessions with Chief Document Examiner of the U.S, Secret Service, John W. Hargett, Equifax Credit Information Service on how to detect fraud via credit reports with Bonnie Meeks, and Howard Pollett of the Internal Revenue Service on fraud concerning Trusts and Pure Trusts.
LECTURES:
Quote:NADE Special Pre-Conference 1992
Atlanta, Georgia
NADE Conference 1995
San Antonio, Texas
PRINT MEDIA:
Quote:Subject or mentioned in articles of: USA Today, Virginian-Pilot, Boulder Camera, Boulder Daily, The Progress Index, The New York Post...
RADIO APPEARANCES:
Quote:Peter Boyles in Boulder, Colorado, and Victoria Jones in New York, New York.
BROADCAST MEDIA:
Quote:Appeared or mentioned on: WTKR's Morning Show, WTKR News, Geraldo, Court TV, Extra, Hard Copy, Fox Network News, Good Morning America, CNN and recently taped for a CBS exclusive for Dan Rather's Evening News and 48 Hours.
AFFIDAVIT OF CINA L. WONG

STATE OF VIRGINIA

NORFOLK COUNTY

CINA L. WONG, being duly sworn, deposes and says:

1. I am a court qualified and board certified forensic handwriting expert. My qualifications are attached to the end of this affidavit.

2. My office is located at 1131 Granby Street, Norfolk Virginia.

3. I have testified in various courts of law as an expert witness in the area of handwriting identification and forensic document examination.

4. I have made careful examination and comparison of the "ransom" note and the exemplars of Patsy Ramsey. I have reached the conclusion that the handwritings and "ransom" note were very probably written by the same person.

5. An examination of the available exemplars of Patsy Ramsey show that there are significant areas of comparison and similarity with those of the "ransom" note.

6. Attached to this affidavit will be a preliminary report of my results,

7. This opinion is based on copies of Patsy Ramsey's exemplars alleged to be true representatives of :he original document.

8. The number- of exemplars were limited, and it is the opinion of this affiant that additional exemplars be provided as well the original ransom note in order to more firmly confirm the opinions of this affidavit and the accompanying report.

9. Nevertheless, in light of the many similarities between the "ransom" note and Patsy Ramsey's exemplars, it is my professional opinion that Patsy Ramsey very likely wrote the "ransom" note.

Dated: November 13, 1997.

(SIGNATURE OF CINA WONG)

CINA L. WONG, B.C.D.E.

STATE OF VIRGINIA:

Sworn to and subscribed before me this day of 13th day of November, 1997.

(SIGNATURE OF NOTARY)

NOTARY PUBLIC

My Commission expires August 31, 2001.
Cina L. Wong, B.C.D.E.

1131 Granby St. Norfolk VA 23510 U.S.A (757) 622-9606 fax,622-9585

Mr. Darnay Hoffman, Atty.
210 West 70th Street Suite 209
New York NY 10023

November 14, 1997

Dear Mr. Hoffman:

Pursuant to your request, I have examined certain materials and documents consisting of the following:

Questioned Document: (Copy)

Q1: Three page handprinted "ransom" note. Begins with "Mr. Ramsey,..." and ends with "Victory! S,B.T.C." It contains 67 lines. Probably disguised writing.

Standards Used for Comparison/Exemplars (Unrehearsed writing by Pasty Ramsey ): [Copies)

S1: Two page letter addressed to "Miss Kit..." Dated "Wednesday, June 4.

S2: A greeting card pre-printed with "Wishing you a bright and beautiful holiday season." Begins with "Hi Bob!" and ends with "Love, Patsy, John & Family."

S3: Color photocopy of a photographed sign "Welcome to the Northwest Territory," Has green holly leaves and red berries pointed on the cardboard-brown sign. Lettering is in white.

S4: Color photocopy of a photographed box with "Ramsey" written in the lower right corner.

S5: Color photocopy of a photo with four children. Printed at base of photo "Rainbow Fish Players".

S6: Color photocopy of a photo-scrapbook with handprinting: "This me when I was first born. That's my Mom and the doctor." "I was 1½ I'm having a picture taken." "I was 2. 1 was going bike riding with my Mom and my Dad…".

S7: Round metal button with handprinting, "Hello... I'm Marilyn Monroe-".

Ramsey Handwriting Report

In this preliminary opinion, over 30 points of similarity between the QD (Questioned Document = "Ransom Note") and SI-S7 (Exemplars) are noted in detail. Original documents were not available for examination. Areas that could not be reviewed for analysis were the speed, pressure and actual size of the writings. Though copies were examined, there was enough information available through pattern recognition techniques to form an opinion.

The term "closely matches" in this report refers to a "match" of letter(s), word(s) or the described, as in the range of a writer's normal writing variations.

Distinct Appearances Between the "Ransom" Note and Exemplars of Patsy Ramsey

The "R" is open to the left in the "Ramsey" written in S4, closely matches the "R" of "Ramsey" in line 1 of the QD.
The "D" in S1 has an extended stroke to the upper left in the word "Dear" which closely matches the "D" of "Don't" in line 62 of the QD.
The tendency of an extended stroke which is mentioned in the previous paragraph, can also be found in the letter "R" in "Ramsey" of S4 and in the "R" of "Ramsey" in Line 1 of the QD.
The final downstroke in the letter "m" in "Welcome" of S3 closely matches the "M" in "Mr" In Line 1 of the QD.
The "se" connection in S4 closely matches the repetitive "se" connections found in Line 23, 36 and 64 of the QD.
The formation (especially the upward ending stroke) of the "l" in "Welcome" in S3 closely matches the "l's" in Line 10, 51, and 53 of the QD.
The formation of the upward ending stroke of the "t's" in S3 closely matches the "t's" in Line 14, 16, and 40 (to name just a few) of the QD.
The formation of the upward ending stroke of the "i" on page 2 of S1 (word "pix"), closely matches the "i's" in Line 7 ("time"), 13, 19 ("in"), and 33 of the QD.
The connection of the horizontal stroke of the letter "A" shown in S4 closely matches the horizontal attachment of "A" to "n" in the word "Any" in line 29 of the QD.
The low placement of the "t-bar" in relation to the "h" in the word "Northwest" in S3 matches the low placement of the "t-bar" in "th" words in lines 6, 14 and 16 of the QD.
Occasionally, where the "t" is connected to a letter "h," the stem of the "h" is higher that the stem of the "t". This is shown in S1, page 2 Lines 5 and 8, it appears to be of the same form according to the copy of the QD.
The dot of the exclamation point drops below the baseline on page 2 of Sl, matching the position it falls below the baseline after the word "Victory" on page 3 of the QD.
The oversized "c" in "crash course" and "contenders" in S1 closely matches the oversized "c" of "carefully" in line 2 of the QD.
The "W" with the larger opening to the left, and a smaller opening to the right in the "Wlsll found in Si, page 2 line 5 ("would') and in S5 the word "rainbow" matches the "WI' in "Well of Line 2 of the QD.
The formation and combination of "ce" mimic each other (Ilc" appears to -be a 'a" and the "e" appears to be a NN cll), This is shown in SI Line 5 "performance,, which closely matches "deceive,, in Line 48 and "enforcement" in Line 49 of the QD.

othe capital "All to "n" horizontal connective stroke in S4 is similar to the "A" to 'In" connective stroke in Line 29 of the QD,

*The formation and indentation (appears at 11:00) in the letter 'loll in Sl page 2 Line I word "to" matches the 'loll in "to" of Line 37 of the QD.

*The shape of the "o" with a point at the top of S3 in the word "to" and in the word "rainbow" of S5 closely matches the "ols" found in Line 40, 44 and 52 of the QID.

*The observation that both the Standards and the QD have a combination of @- Ily" final strokes where the stroke ends in a straight vertical-like line without a loop, or a stroke that continues to the left forming a curve. Examples of the vertical-like ending can be found in S2 "family," and in S4 which closely matches the "y's" in "try" Line 47 and in "try" of Line 52 of the QD. Examples of the curved ending stroke is in S3 "territory" and S7 of "Marilyn" which is similar to the Ily" in 'money" of line 43, but more so, matches with the curved ending strokes of many of the letter "g's" found throughout the QD@
*Spaces between lines of writing appear to "tangle" when lower strokes of letters collide with tops of letters from a sentence below. This "tangling" can be seen in Sl page 2 Lines 5 and 6, and in lines 10, 11 and 12. These examples closely match Lines 34 and 35, 39 and 40, and 55 and 56 in the QD@
*The I'M" in S7 "Ilrp." closely matches the "M" in Line I of "Mr." in the QD. Soth "Mls" have pointed tops, and a @rved ending stroke.
*The left margin slowly pulls left ward towards the base of the page in Si and S2, which closely match the margins in the QD,
othe first paragraph after the salutation starts with in a range of the second word of the salutation. The example in SI and S2 closely match the first page of the QD.
*The upper portion of the "SI is written with a smaller area of space ("pinched" in appearance and sometimes with an angle), as opposed to the final curve of the IS" which is formed larger. Example can be seen in S3 "Northwest" and in S5 in " Fish Players." This closely matches the "s" located in Line 8 in "She", 14 in "bills", and 16 in "size,, of the QD,
-The curved stem of the lowercase "cl" in S6 "an(i," "doctor" and Dad" mzltches the 'Id" in Lirie 26 "delivery," and in 31 "daughter," of the Qr).
*The baseline of a writing is an "imaginary" line or given line (if ruled paper) on which one writes their sentences on. When measured, the words in the exemplars show that some words "rise" above and some words "fall" below the baseline. If a ruler is placed under the sentences written in the QD, one canalso see this repetitive pattern of "rising" and "falling" words.

*in the exemplars as well as the Qr), the spacing
between words appear greater than average.

*The letters "r" and "oll have a tendency to touch together as in S7 "Monroe" which closely matches example in Line 19 "brown" and in 21 "tomorrow" of the QD.

*Th6 slant of the letters in the printed exemplars of Patsy Ramsey (S3, 85,and S6) reflects the over all vertical slant which is presented in the QD (more evident in the last parts of the QD where writing is 1888 controlled),

*The formation of the exclamation points in SI page I line 13 SI page 2, (last exclamation point)after the word "back," in S2 line 6 after the word "ball" closely matches the exclamation point in Line 66 of the QD. It shows the tendency for the initial stroke of the exclamation to have a left ward curve, causing it to have a bending effect-

othe uniquely formed comma on Sl page 1 line 2,veers to the left, and finishes by curving to the right. This comma matches the unique formed comma found in Line 13 number "$100,000" of the QD,

*Untisuall@, formed portion of the letter lb." The second curved stroke of the "b's" contains an point in the 12:00 to 1:00 position. This "pointed bl' can be seen in SS "Rainbow" and matches Line 18 ")Dring," and 19 "bag" of the QD.

Items to he examined if additional exemplars are available.

General shared characteristics in both the Standards and the QD are the tendency for letter like "t's" and "s's" to connect to a following letter.
Would like to see original exemplars to measure spacing of letters.
Would like to see original exemplars to measure size of letters and writing-

Looking for "re" combos that run together.

Looking for "rivers" in writing caused by the large spacing in words. "Rivers" appear in the QD and in small amounts in the exemplars.
In writing where a person has the tendency (at times) to make apostrophes and quotations in reverse, commas are also in reverse, as the one seen in Line 1 and 15 of the QD.

Any of these observations will not be able to stand alone as evidence, but it is as a "collective whole" they represent a repetitive pattern which not only exists in the QD but also in the examined exemplars alleged written by Patsy Ramsey.

Based upon preliminary analysis of these items, and from an application of forensic document examination principles and techniques, it is my professional opinion, that the hand that authored the known Standards for Comparison as Patsy Ramsey appears to be very likely the same hand that authored the Questioned Document "Ransom Note".

It is requested that an examination of the original documents and any additional document relating to this case be available.

This opinion is based on copies alleged to be true representatives of the original document.

Summary Section

It is quite rare for a Document Examiner to quantify degrees of certainty on a numerical scale. But, for the purposes of allowing a general understanding of my results, I have designated a rating of probability based on a scale of 1-10, It is my preliminary opinion, given the multitude of similarities linking the Questioned Document to the exemplars, that the probability these documents were written by the same hand is 8.5 on this scale.

It is not uncommon for some people to have 2 or 4 of the similar characteristics I have listed, since they may have learned to write in the same "copybook" method in grade school. The relatively large number of distinctive similarities (32) found in both the "ransom note" and exemplars allegedly written by Patsy Ramsey, however, cannot be ignored. Statistically, it can only be concluded that it is very likely the same hand wrote all the documents involved.

If further information or assistance is desired, please advise.

Sincerely,

Cina L. Wong, B.C.D.E

(Board Certified DOcument Examiner)
CINA L WONG, B.C.D.E.
Court Qualified / Board Certified Document Examiner
1131 Granby Street
Norfolk, VA 23510

(757) 622-9606

September 28, 1998

Mr. Alexander M. Hunter, Esq.
District Attorney for Boulder
Box 471
Boulder, CO 80305

Re: JonBenét Ramsey Grand Jury Request

Dear Mr. Hunter:

This letter is meant to be a formal request to appear before the Boulder County JonBenét Ramsey grand jury.

I am making this request pursuant to C.R.S. 16-5-204(4)(1). I am a board-certified, court-admitted questioned document handwriting expert who has developed evidence showing that Patsy Ramsey is the author of the ransom note left at the Ramsey home on December 26, 1996.

Attorney Darnay Hoffman has already forwarded copies of my affidavit, handwriting report and curriculum vitae for your examination. If you wish to discuss my testimony before I appear before the grand jury, you are welcome to call me at the above number.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

Cina L. Wong, BCDE

cc: Michael Kane
THE STATE OF COLORADO
TWENTIETH JUDICIAL DISTRICT
ALEXANDER M. HUNTER
DISTRICT ATTORNEY
JUSTICE CENTER
1777 6th Street
Box 471
Boulder, Colorado 80306

October 2, 1998

Ms. Cina L. Wong, B.C.D.E.
1131 Granby Street
Norfolk, VA 23510

Re: Request to Appear Before Grand Jury

Dear Ms. Wong:

This is to acknowledge receipt of your request to appear before the grand jury, dated September 28, 1998. I would appreciate it if you would provide me with some information to help me consider your request.

You referred to your report, affidavit, and curriculum vitae sent to my office by Darnay Hoffman. To be sure that I consider all appropriate information, please confirm that you mean your eight page report dated November 14, 1997, your two page affidavit signed November 13, 1997, and your four page resume.

I would also appreciate information on the NADE, particularly its standards for certification as well its standards and operating procedures for document examination. I would also appreciate similar information on the International School of Handwriting Sciences and the National Handwriting Identification Network and your reasons for leaving those organizations. I would also appreciate any information, such as the syllabus, describing the college course you completed.

Finally I would appreciate a list of the court cases in which you have actually testified, including case name and number, the names and phone numbers of the lawyers who retained you and the opposing counsel, the outcome of the case, and the citation to any published decisions which may have resulted from the cases.

Feel free to send me anything else which you would like to have considered. Thank you for your interest and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Michael J. Kane
Deputy District Attorney
CINA L. WONG, B.C.D.E.
1131 Granby St
Norfolk, VA 23510
(757) 622-9606

October 16, 1998

Mr. Michael J. Kane, Esq.
Boulder County District Attorney's Office
Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306

Re: Request to Appear Before Grand Jury

Dear Mr. Kane:

This is in response to your October 2, 1998 letter requesting information to help you consider my possible appearance before the grand jury.

With respect to your inquiry, I am confirming the validity of my eight page report dated November 14, 1997, my two page affidavit signed november 13, 1997 and my four page curriculum vitae which was forwarded to you by Darnay Hoffman.

In regards to information you requested in paragraph three of your letter, I have enclosed for you a copy of NADE's (National Association of Document Examiners) bylaws. This booklet will answer the specific questions about NADE. Page one of our bylaws, Article II, lists our objective and purpose. Our membership is open to forensic handwriting experts in the private sectors as well as those forensic handwriting experts that are empolyed by both state and federal government agencies. Page thirteen, fourteen and fifteen will give you the requirements and standards for certification and for re-certification.

In addition, my initial exposure and training to forensic document examnation stemmed for the Internaitonal School of Handwriting Sciences and the National handwriting Indentification Netrwork, which is solely located in San Francsisco, Califorinia. You asked my reasons for leaving these organizations. My answer is simple. I now live in Norfolk, Virginia which is approximately 3,000 miles from San Francisco. Living so far away makes it difficult to attend regular meetings. Belonging to high caliber, nationally recognized associations like NADE and NWFIA (Northwest Fraud Investigators Association) enhance my professional education with shared information among members, journals workshops and conferences.

Also included as part of your request is a list of court cases I have actually testified in. I have included case names and phone numbers of the attorney that retained our firm. You may request the phone number of opposing counsel from the retaining attorney. I do not have that information since I usually do not confer with opposing counsel. In regards to the outcome of cases, I have listed the results of the ones I was informed of. I am retained as an expert witness and most of the time, I arrive to testify in the middle of a trial and leave. It is not procedural or cost effective for my client to have me stay and listen to an entire court trial (that could extend into days) to hear the verdict. But if any additional information about the outcome of cases and any citation to any published decisions which may have resulted from the cases is needed, the retaining attorney in each case would be able to assist you.

As for the college accredited course with Larry Zieglar, who was a forensic document examiner with the FBI at the time, I have included a certificate of completion and a course syllabus for your review.

I hope I have been able to answer all of your questions. If you have additional questions, or if I can be of further help, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Cina L. Wong, BCDE
A L. WONG, B.C.D.E.
1131 Granby St
Norfolk, VA 23510
(757) 622-9606

November 14, 1998

Hon. Roxanne Bailin
20th Judicial District of Colorado
Box 4249 Division 2
Boulder CO 80306-4249

Re: JonBenet Ramsey Case

Dear Hon. Bailin:

On September 20, 1998 I wrote to District Attorney Alex Hunter requesting to appear before the Boulder County Grand Jury with handwriting evidence which I believe positively identifies Patsy Ramsey as the ransom note writer.

I received an acknowledgement of my request from Deputy District Attorney Michael Kane, who asked for additional information on my credentials. That was over a month ago.

I am a board certified, court admitted questioned document examiner with many years of testifying as an expert witness in both state and federal court. I have never been disqualified by a judge as an expert witness. My testimony has always been admitted before the court.

In light of the controversy surrounding the District Attorney's role in this case, and the charges of corruption and compromise by Boulder detective Steve Thomas, I am forwarding this letter to you in the hope that you will inquire on my behalf as to the delay by the D.A. in getting back to me.

Any meaningful delay in calling me before the Grand Jury would be the functional equivalent of denying my request to appear before it. Silence by the D.A. could be interpreted as constructive denial of my request, done, presumably to keep me for effectively petitioning the court.

I look forward to hearing from Your Honor. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Cina L. Wong, BCDE
Vice President of the National Association of Document Examiners
THE STATE OF COLORADO
TWENTIETH JUDICIAL DISTRICT
ALEXANDER M. HUNTER
DISTRICT ATTORNEY
JUSTICE CENTER
1777 6th Street
Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306

January 20, 1999

Ms. Cina L. Wong
1131 Granby Street
Norfolk, VA 23510

Re: Request to appear before the Boulder County Statutory Grand Jury

Dear Ms. Wong:

After due consideration of your request to appear and testify before the Boulder County Grand Jury in the JonBenet Ramsey murder investigation, I wish to inform you that your request is denied. We have determined that your proposed testimony would not serve the interests of justice which is the controlling standard by which to judge your request. (Comment by New York attorney DARNAY HOFFMAN: "In the nearly eighteen months that the police and Boulder DA have had the handwriting reports of experts Thomas Miller, Cina Wong and David Liebman, there has not been a single phone call from any investigator willing to spend even five minutes discussing the handwriting evidence with arguably some of the finest questioned document examiners in the country -- provided free of charge at my own expense. Compare this with the time and expense spent on searching for "Santa bears" and the periodic pleas by the police and the DA to the public to "come forward with any information that might help solve this crime." The ONLY reason the DA has even bothered considering the handwriting evidence of Liebman and Wong at this late date is due to the legal requirement under Colorado law that every request to appear before a grand jury be met with a written reply after "careful" consideration of such a request. Under Colorado law, a judge is allowed to review the basis for any rejection to determine it's "reasonableness." )

The primary reason that we have reached this decision is that we believe that the methodology which you have used in reaching your conclusions does not meet the standards employed by the vast majority of forensic questioned documents examiners in this country. (DARNAY HOFFMAN: "What Michael Kane fails to mention is the fact that David Liebman is the president, and Cina Wong the vice president, of the National Association of Document Examiners, NADE, which is a distinguished professional organization that sets the "methological standards" of its members and of the entire field of questioned document examination. Wong and Liebman, in effect, help formulate and set the "standards" used in the field. Curiously, Kane does not explain why every court Liebman and Wong have testified in have accepted their methodology into evidence. Please notice that Kane fails to mention what these"methological standards" are that Liebman and Wong have "failed" to meet except for the single objection which appears in the next paragraph. Clearly, Kane is "reaching" for a reason to reject the reports of Wong and Liebman and their damning conclusions about Patsy Ramsey's authorship. Compare Kane's use of Donald Foster's handwriting report before the grand jury as described in Schiller's book "Perfect Murder, Perfect Town." Schiller reports on page 470: "Hunter...considered linguistics a good investigative tool, but he did not think it would be deemed admissible in a Colorado court. Also, Foster had never testified in a criminal trial. They could use linguistics testimony with the grand jury." Then on page 488: "Hofstrom and some other deputies thought that under the circumstances, which pointed to inadmissibility in court, the professor's [Foster's) report and conclusions should not be presented to the grand jury...DeMuth pointed out that it would not be admissible in a Colorado court. "My guys think you're an asshole," Beckner said to him (DeMuth), "but we're going to need an asshole to fight for us." He (Beckner) asked DeMuth to persuade Hofstrom and Hunter to use Foster's report and conclusions before the grand jury." QUESTION: Why is Michael Kane using Donald Foster's report, despite Hunter's legitimate reservations, before the grand jury, while at the same time turning his nose up at Liebman and Wong?")

Most significant is your complete failure to account for or even reference any unexplained dissimilarities between the questioned and known samples. You are willing to conclude with 100% certainty that a writing was authored by a particular person based on some threshold level of similarities without any mention that there may be 10, 100 or 10,000 unexplainable dissimilarities between the known and unknown writings. I know of no reputable forensic document examiner who will not agree that unexplainable dissimilarities between a person's natural writing and questioned handwriting will preclude a positive identification. In fact, where the degree of unexplained dissimilarity is high, it may result in a (sic) elimination in spite of the existence of a number of points of similarity. (DARNAY HOFFMAN: "This paragraph is the only reason Kane gives for rejecting Liebman and Wong on methological grounds. Please note how bogus it is: First, Liebman and Wong never cite 100% "certainty" in their reports as Kane claims. Wong cites 85% in her report, and Liebman 90-95%. Kane misstates the degree of their certainty in a transparent attempt to mislead people into believing that Liebman and Wong look ridiculous and that their conclusions should not be trusted. Second, there are no "unexplained dissimilarities" between Patsy's writing and the ransom note. Why? Because the whole purpose of disguising handwriting in a ransom note is to purposely create as many dissimilarities as possible -- that is the whole reason for disguising handwriting, to create as many dissimilarities as possible. Both Liebman and Wong account for these "dissimilarities" by noting that the handwriting was written by someone trying to disguise their identity, which is certainly a common sense way of explaining the "dissimilarities." Kane almost sounds like a defense attorney arguing for the Ramseys with this "objection.")

Because of this, it is not clear that your analytic methods would pass the test for admissibility in the courts of Colorado. We recognize that the rules of evidence do not apply to a grand jury investigation, but it would be rather pointless to allow the grand jury to indict based in part on opinion evidence that a petit jury might never be permitted to hear in a trial. (DARNAY HOFFMAN: "In light of Hunter's and Hofstrom's reservations about the admissibility of Donald Foster's linguistics report, which I've already discussed, this "explanation" by Michael Kane is so bogus it doesn't deserve the dignity of a response. It speaks for itself.")

In addition to your technical deficiencies, there are other reasons for our decision. I would note that you have engaged in a campaign of promoting your opinion in a manner that would surely open your credibility to doubt on cross examination in a judicial proceeding. As an experienced trial attorney. I believe that an expert witness who has attempted to insinuate herself into a particular criminal investigation through a public media campaign would appear less than objective and professional to a jury. It would be pointless to utilize the services of an expert who is vulnerable in this regard, given that there are hundreds of other qualified document examiners who are not tainted in this way. (DARNAY HOFFMAN: "Kane makes a good point if it were not for the following facts, as described in Schiller's book on pages 568-9: "Foster had written to Patsy Ramsey in the spring of 1997, before he agreed to work for Hunter...In Foster's letter to Patsy, he had written, "I know you are innocent--know it absolutely and unequivocally. I will stake my professional reputation on it. Indeed my faith in humanity." He also said that his analysis of the note {at the time} "leads me to believe you did not write it and the police are wasting their time by trying to prove that you did." Even though Foster's spring 1997 conclusions were based only on the fragments of the ransom note that were available at the time, there was a powerful contradiction between his conclusion at the time and what he said in 1998...In his final report, Foster used strong language to state that Patsy Ramsey had written the ransom note. In the letter to Patsy claiming he was sure she didn't write it, Foster had used almost the same language." Let's face it, Donald Foster is an expert witness with lots of personal and professional "baggage." And yet the Boulder newspapers report that Kane is using Foster's handwriting analysis before the grand jury. QUESTION: Why was this guy taken seriously for so long by both the police and the DA while Liebman and Wong were completely ignored? And if experts who are "publicity hounds" bother Kane, then what about Barry Scheck and Henry Lee, who have made numerous TV appearances as talking heads repeatedly commenting on the JonBenet Ramsey case? They are on TV almost as much as Homer Simpson.")

You, of course, may appeal this decision. If your (sic) choose to do so, you should be aware of an order entered by Judge Daniel Hale and Judge Roxanne Bailin when the grand jury began its work. The order requires that all pleadings filed in this case be filed under seal. Thus, if you plan to appeal, you should be aware that any public dissemination or discussion of your pleadings may be seen by the court as a violation of the order and could result in a (sic) the issuance of a citation for contempt of court. I would suggest that you make your attorney aware of the existence of the order which is on file with the district court clerk. He can advise you in this regard (DARNAY HOFFMAN: "This not so subtle attempt at "intimidating" two handwriting experts who have come forward at their own expense to help the DA "solve" this case is almost beneath contempt. Does anyone believe Michael Kane is trying to discover who leaked "secret" grand jury information to Fox News reporter Carol McKinley?")

Very truly yours,

Alexander M. Hunter
District Attorney

By:___________
Michael J. Kane
Deputy District Attorney
Cina L. Wong, B.C.D.E.
1131 Granby St. Norfolk VA 23510 U.S.A
(757) 622-9606 fax,622-9585

Mr. Darnay Hoffman, Atty.
210 West 70th Street Suite 209
New York NY 10023
November 14, 1997
Dear Mr. Hoffman:
Pursuant to your request, I have examined certain materials and documents consisting of the
following:
Questioned Document: (Copy)
Q1:
Three page handprinted "ransom" note. Begins with "Mr. Ramsey,..." and ends with "Victory! S,B.T.C."
It contains 67 lines. Probably disguised writing.
Standards Used for Comparison/Exemplars (Unrehearsed writing by Pasty Ramsey ): S1:
Two page letter addressed to "Miss Kit..." Dated "Wednesday, June 4.
S2:
A greeting card pre-printed with "Wishing you a bright and beautiful holiday season." Begins with "Hi
Bob!" and ends with "Love, Patsy, John & Family."
S3:
Color photocopy of a photographed sign "Welcome to the Northwest Territory," Has green holly leaves
and red berries pointed on the cardboard-brown sign. Lettering is in white.
S4:
Color photocopy of a photographed box with "Ramsey" written in the lower right corner.
S5:
Color photocopy of a photo with four children. Printed at base of photo "Rainbow Fish Players".
S6:
Color photocopy of a photo-scrapbook with handprinting: "This me when I was first born. That's my
Mom and the doctor." "I was 1½ I'm having a picture taken." "I was 2. 1 was going bike riding with
my Mom and my Dad".
S7:
Round metal button with handprinting, "Hello... I'm Marilyn Monroe-".
Ramsey Handwriting Report
In this preliminary opinion, over 30 points of similarity between the QD (Questioned Document =
"Ransom Note") and SI-S7 (Exemplars) are noted in detail.
Original documents were not available for examination.
Areas that could not be reviewed for analysis were the speed, pressure and actual size of the
writings.
Though copies were examined, there was enough information available through pattern recognition
techniques to form an opinion.
The term "closely matches" in this report refers to a "match" of letter(s), word(s) or the described, as
in the range of a writer's normal writing variations.
Distinct Appearances Between the "Ransom" Note and Exemplars of Patsy Ramsey
The "R" is open to the left in the "Ramsey" written in S4, closely matches the "R" of "Ramsey" in line 1
of the QD.
The "D" in S1 has an extended stroke to the upper left in the word "Dear" which closely matches the
"D" of "Don't" in line 62 of the QD.
The tendency of an extended stroke which is mentioned in the previous paragraph, can also be found
in the letter "R" in "Ramsey" of S4 and in the "R" of "Ramsey" in Line 1 of the QD.
The final downstroke in the letter "m" in "Welcome" of S3 closely matches the "M" in "Mr" In Line 1 of
the QD.
The "se" connection in S4 closely matches the repetitive "se" connections found in Line 23, 36 and 64
of the QD.
The formation (especially the upward ending stroke) of the "l" in "Welcome" in S3 closely matches the
"l's" in Line 10, 51, and 53 of the QD.
The formation of the upward ending stroke of the "t's" in S3 closely matches the "t's" in Line 14, 16,
and 40 (to name just a few) of the QD.
The formation of the upward ending stroke of the "i" on page 2 of S1 (word "pix"), closely matches
the "i's" in Line 7 ("time"), 13, 19 ("in"), and 33 of the QD.
The connection of the horizontal stroke of the letter "A" shown in S4 closely matches the horizontal
attachment of "A" to "n" in the word "Any" in line 29 of the QD.
The low placement of the "t-bar" in relation to the "h" in the word "Northwest" in S3 matches the low
placement of the "t-bar" in "th" words in lines 6, 14 and 16 of the QD.
Occasionally, where the "t" is connected to a letter "h," the stem of the "h" is higher that the stem of
the "t". This is shown in S1, page 2 Lines 5 and 8, it appears to be of the same form according to the
copy of the QD.
The dot of the exclamation point drops below the baseline on page 2 of Sl, matching the position it
falls below the baseline after the word "Victory" on page 3 of the QD.
The oversized "c" in "crash course" and "contenders" in S1 closely matches the oversized "c" of
"carefully" in line 2 of the QD.
The "W" with the larger opening to the left, and a smaller opening to the right in the "Wlsll found in
Si, page 2 line 5 ("would') and in S5 the word "rainbow" matches the "WI' in "Well of Line 2 of the QD.
The formation and combination of "ce" mimic each other (Ilc" appears to -be a 'a" and the "e" appears
to be a NN cll), This is shown in SI Line 5 "performance,, which closely matches "deceive,, in Line 48
and "enforcement" in Line 49 of the QD.
*The capital "All to "n" horizontal connective stroke in S4 is similar to the "A" to 'In" connective
stroke in Line 29 of the QD,
*The formation and indentation (appears at 11:00) in the letter 'loll in Sl page 2 Line I word "to"
matches the 'loll in "to" of Line 37 of the QD.
*The shape of the "o" with a point at the top of S3 in the word "to" and in the word "rainbow" of S5
closely matches the "ols" found in Line 40, 44 and 52 of the QD.
*The observation that both the Standards and the QD have a combination of @- Ily" final strokes
where the stroke ends in a straight vertical-like line without a loop, or a stroke that continues to the
left forming a curve.
Examples of the vertical-like ending can be found in S2 "family," and in S4 which closely matches the
"y's" in "try" Line 47 and in "try" of Line 52 of the QD.
Examples of the curved ending stroke is in S3 "territory" and S7 of "Marilyn" which is similar to the Ily"
in 'money" of line 43, but more so, matches with the curved ending strokes of many of the letter "g's"
found throughout the QD.
*Spaces between lines of writing appear to "tangle" when lower strokes of letters collide with tops of
letters from a sentence below. This "tangling" can be seen in Sl page 2 Lines 5 and 6, and in lines 10,
11 and 12. These examples closely match Lines 34 and 35, 39 and 40, and 55 and 56 in the QD.
*The I'M" in S7 "Ilrp." closely matches the "M" in Line I of "Mr." in the QD. Soth "Mls" have pointed
tops, and a @rved ending stroke.
*The left margin slowly pulls left ward towards the base of the page in Si and S2, which closely
match the margins in the QD,
*The first paragraph after the salutation starts with in a range of the second word of the salutation.
The example in SI and S2 closely match the first page of the QD.
*The upper portion of the "SI is written with a smaller area of space ("pinched" in appearance and
sometimes with an angle), as opposed to the final curve of the IS" which is formed larger. Example
can be seen in S3 "Northwest" and in S5 in " Fish Players." This closely matches the "s" located in
Line 8 in "She", 14 in "bills", and 16 in "size,, of the QD,
*The curved stem of the lowercase "cl" in S6 "an(i," "doctor" and Dad" mzltches the 'Id" in Lirie 26
"delivery," and in 31 "daughter," of the Qr).
*The baseline of a writing is an "imaginary" line or given line (if ruled paper) on which one writes their
sentences on. When measured, the words in the exemplars show that some words "rise" above and
some words "fall" below the baseline. If a ruler is placed under the sentences written in the QD, one
can also see this repetitive pattern of "rising" and "falling" words.
*In the exemplars as well as the Qr), the spacing between words appear greater than average.
*The letters "r" and "oll have a tendency to touch together as in S7 "Monroe" which closely matches
example in Line 19 "brown" and in 21 "tomorrow" of the QD.
*The slant of the letters in the printed exemplars of Patsy Ramsey (S3, 85,and S6) reflects the over
all vertical slant which is presented in the QD (more evident in the last parts of the QD where writing
is 1888 controlled),
*The formation of the exclamation points in SI page I line 13 SI page 2, (last exclamation point)after
the word "back," in S2 line 6 after the word "ball" closely matches the exclamation point in Line 66 of
the QD.
It shows the tendency for the initial stroke of the exclamation to have a left ward curve, causing it
to have a bending effect
*The uniquely formed comma on Sl page 1 line 2,veers to the left, and finishes by curving to the
right. This comma matches the unique formed comma found in Line 13 number "$100,000" of the QD,
*Untisuall@, formed portion of the letter lb." The second curved stroke of the "b's" contains an point
in the 12:00 to 1:00 position. This "pointed bl' can be seen in SS "Rainbow" and matches Line 18
")Dring," and 19 "bag" of the QD.
Items to be examined if additional exemplars are available.
General shared characteristics in both the Standards and the QD are the tendency for letter like "t's"
and "s's" to connect to a following letter.
Would like to see original exemplars to measure spacing of letters.
Would like to see original exemplars to measure size of letters and writing
Looking for "re" combos that run together.
Looking for "rivers" in writing caused by the large spacing in words. "Rivers" appear in the QD and in
small amounts in the exemplars.
In writing where a person has the tendency (at times) to make apostrophes and quotations in
reverse, commas are also in reverse, as the one seen in Line 1 and 15 of the QD.
Any of these observations will not be able to stand alone as evidence, but it is as a "collective whole"
they represent a repetitive pattern which not only exists in the QD but also in the examined
exemplars alleged written by Patsy Ramsey.
Based upon preliminary analysis of these items, and from an application of forensic document
examination principles and techniques, it is my professional opinion, that the hand that authored the
known Standards for Comparison as Patsy Ramsey appears to be very likely the same hand that
authored the Questioned Document "Ransom Note".
It is requested that an examination of the original documents and any additional document relating to
this case be available.
This opinion is based on copies alleged to be true representatives of the original document.
Summary Section
It is quite rare for a Document Examiner to quantify degrees of certainty on a numerical scale. But,
for the purposes of allowing a general understanding of my results, I have designated a rating of
probability based on a scale of 1-10.
It is my preliminary opinion, given the multitude of similarities linking the Questioned Document to the
exemplars, that the probability these documents were written by the same hand is 8.5 on this scale.
It is not uncommon for some people to have 2 or 4 of the similar characteristics I have listed, since
they may have learned to write in the same "copybook" method in grade school.
The relatively large number of distinctive similarities (32) found in both the "ransom note" and
exemplars allegedly written by Patsy Ramsey, however, cannot be ignored.
Statistically, it can only be concluded that it is very likely the same hand wrote all the documents
involved.
If further information or assistance is desired, please advise.
Sincerely,
Cina L. Wong, B.C.D.E
(Board Certified Document Examiner)
AFFIDAVIT OF CINA L. WONG
STATE OF VIRGINIA
NORFOLK COUNTY
CINA L. WONG, being duly sworn, deposes and says:
1. I am a court qualified and board certified forensic handwriting expert. My qualifications are
attached to the end of this affidavit.
2. My office is located at 1131 Granby Street, Norfolk Virginia.
3. I have testified in various courts of law as an expert witness in the area of handwriting
identification and forensic document examination.
4. I have made careful examination and comparison of the "ransom" note and the exemplars of Patsy
Ramsey. I have reached the conclusion that the handwritings and "ransom" note were very probably
written by the same person.
5. An examination of the available exemplars of Patsy Ramsey show that there are significant areas of
comparison and similarity with those of the "ransom" note.
6. Attached to this affidavit will be a preliminary report of my results.
7. This opinion is based on copies of Patsy Ramsey's exemplars alleged to be true representatives of
the original document.
8. The number- of exemplars were limited, and it is the opinion of this affiant that additional
exemplars be provided as well the original ransom note in order to more firmly confirm the opinions of
this affidavit and the accompanying report.
9. Nevertheless, in light of the many similarities between the "ransom" note and Patsy Ramsey's
exemplars, it is my professional opinion that Patsy Ramsey very likely wrote the "ransom" note.
Dated: November 13, 1997.
(SIGNATURE OF CINA WONG)
CINA L. WONG, B.C.D.E.
STATE OF VIRGINIA:
Sworn to and subscribed before me this day of 13th day of November, 1997.
(SIGNATURE OF NOTARY)
NOTARY PUBLIC
My Commission expires August 31, 2001.
An old post on Cina Wong

jameson
Charter Member
5676 posts
Jul-10-01, 09:18 AM (GMT)

4. "Cina Wong"
In response to message #3

ping off the beaten path at
MacArthur Center
Colorado Pen Company

The Colorado Pen Company
Writing instruments and elegant accessories
that make writing pleasurable including pens
from Mont Blanc, Pelikan, Cross, Parker, and
Waterman. From the $2 disposable to the
$60,000 diamond encrusted pen. Customers
are encouraged test drive a pen, hold it in their
hands and feel its weight and comfort. The
knowledgeable staff includes Cina Wong, a
Court Qualified/Board Certified Document
Examiner. Who better to help you find a pen
than a professional handwriting expert? She
can help you find a pen to match your
personal writing style. CPC carries Crane
paper, bookends, clocks and replacement nibs
and inks. Pens for the beginner as well as the
collector looking for a one of a kind piece.
Worth looking for: Cina Wong. Maybe you'll be
able to get her to talk about her work on the
Jon Benet Ramsey murder case.

She might be an expert - - but selling pens is apparently how she pays the rent.
C'mon.... this "expert" designation used to mean something to me - - but since I followed this case - - I have little respect for that term.
Cina peddles pens and she does a bit of handwriting analysis. Like Dale Yeager, I don't have any respect for her work because I think she just writes reports to "push buttons".