Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The exemplars described
Exemplar #4 - - two left handed efforts to copy three paragraphs. NOT the ransom note, this project was, to the best of my knowledge, the work of Stephen Pitt, the psychiatrist who worked with the BPD as a consultant.

They knew from earlier left-handed samples that Patsy did not write this note with her left hand. They knew it was unlikely she wrote it with her right hand either, but at this point, the formation of the letters was not the point, the point was to bring Patsy in, add that to the media information in order to put more civilian attention on her as the suspect. It was also, as Dale Yeager put it, to put her under pressure, to "push buttons", to see if she might cave in and give the BPD the confession they wanted.

I found this sample upsetting when I saw it for what it was and now, 25 years later, I think it is time to share exactly what Exemplar #4 was. I hope posters will read the three paragraphs and comment on the CONTENT, the rather threatening messaging that was taking place.
Exemplar #5 is HUGE - absolutely HUGE. Dated 5/20/1997. And to add to the pressure, every page was timed. The start and finish times are noted on each page. (Just a friendly get-together, Patsy. No pressure.)

The first page is the same old London Letter - it is typed at the top and Patsy had plenty of room at the bottom to write it out. They didn't indent the paragraph and neither did she. The letter a is always simple; the letter J has the horizontal line on top. As always, when she writes the name McQuaid, her letter c doesn't touch the bottom line but is higher. Most of the letters are printed and separate, but there is one word where two letters are joined as in cursive. This page took her 3 minutes to copy, from 11:04 am to 11:07.

The next 4 pages are words she was asked to copy three times each. 23 words per page. I say words, but in at least one case, the "word" is not a word, she was asked to write "Inden" three times. Was that to see if she would add the letter t to it to it to make a real word? I have no idea but think this list was deliberately made so the question begs to be answered. Most of the words can be found in the ransom note but others seem unrelated. Examples? "Grain" with a capital G, northern, rat, and names like Rothberg and Frank. Have to wonder if they hoped for one of the names to give her pause. Whatever, those pages took between 3 and 5 minutes each to fill in.

Next up, the three paragraphs I believe were the brainchild of Stephen Pitts. This time they not only times the writings but kept the lower pages to study the ink bleed-through. Many situations where Patsy slipped into cursive, no type-capped a that I see looking quickly at this (I need to leave soon), a few misspelled words ("assurred" and "advized" are two that pop out). The first paragraph took her 6 minutes to write, would appear it was dictated to her as the typed copy is not attached here. Second paragraph took 4 and the third took 3. This portion ended at 11:39 am. No more than a single minute passed between any of the samples so far. The pressure is on, to be sure.

Again, Patsy was asked for a second time to write the 4 lists of 23 words, names, whatever. I will note here that F.B.I. is on the list, with the periods in place - and that is just how Patsy reproduced them. All pages complete between 11:39 and 11:55.

Back to the three Pitt paragraphs, started at 11:56 and completed at 12:13. LOTS of cases where she slipped into cursive, no type-capped a letters, Both assured and advised spelled correctly. I can't explain that but will leave it to others to decide if it is important. Just stating what I see, being honest.

Interesting page - Three words, large. Please take guard in regular print, then the g is written over to make it fancier. After, the word Make is written in what looks like an attempt at calligraphy. Whoever was timing these pages wrote on the page "no purpose" then put a time on it - 12:24 am. What is interesting here is that the next sample is timed as starting at 12:22 and ending at 12:32. So what was really happening? I have no idea.
The next 6 pages are the Pitt Letter written in what I would describe as calligraphy. I can almost hear the discussion that led to this effort - - - how do we get her to make the a with type-cap?? Well, they did it. All the a letters have the fancy caps. The three paragraphs are on separate sheets, timed, and the papers beneath were preserved so the bleed through could be studied as well.

Paragraph 1 took 10 minutes to write. Paragraph 2 took 9 and the half page took 4.

Little details I would note - - an accent mark is over the e in the word, and attaché, advised is properly spelled with an s rather than a z, and there are only one or two cases where letters are joined as in cursive.

Again with the 4 pages of 23 words - Patsy was asked to write each word three times. The letter a is always the simple a with no cap. Several of the words have letters joined as in cursive. Each page took between 3 and 6 pages to complete.
This section ended at 1:03.
THE FINAL PAGE

Not sure what directions were given to Patsy for this page. Four paragraphs.
The first starts out in cursive, Patsy describing what is happening at the time, who is in the room. it ends in print.
The second paragraph (no indentations on page) tells of the two CBI agents in the room; Patsy doesn't envy them their jobs.
Third paragraph describes a third gentleman in the room, taking "copious notes". I wonder if that was Stephen Pitt. She doesn't name him or most of the others.
Last paragraph mentions JonBenet.
And then a sign-off "Love, Mommy" as if this had been a letter which it clearly was NOT.