Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
funeral stuff
1998 December 30
Pam Paugh on Dave Lucas Radio Show

Lance Matthews: Why was JonBenet buried in a tiara and pageant gown?

Pam Paugh: Buried in a what?

Lance Matthews: A tiara and a pageant gown. She was in one of those pageant gowns when she was buried.

Pam Paugh: Well, you know I mean I certainly the world is not making judgement about that.

2000 March 18 - John and Patsy Ramsey book, "Death of Innocence"

DOI (HB) Page 34-35

"On December 28, a department store in Denver sent some clothing to the Fernies' so I could pick something to wear to the funeral, since all our clothes were still in the house. Roxy and my sisters were there to help me sort through the dresses and hopefully come up with something I could wear to my daughter's funeral. I chose a black knit, two-piece dress."

"At that moment a picture of Jackie Kennedy abruptly flashed across my mind. I remembered seeing her wearing a black veil, walking hand in hand with her two children to JFK's grave site. Now I could see why people wore veils at such times. The filmy material surrounds you like a cocoon, over-shadowing your face and closing out the world. With the covering and protection, I could cry, be private in my grief. I decided I wanted to wear a veil to JonBenet's funeral, so I asked one of my friends to help. She found a sheer black scarf and attached it to a black felt hat, then packed it for the trip to Atlanta."

DOI (HB) Page 39

The last time we saw JonBenet was in that funeral home. My mother and dad, Nedra and Don Paugh; my sisters, Pam and Polly; John and I; John Andrew; and Melinda stood around the coffin saying our good-byes. Mother had a special gold bracelet she had saved to give to JonBenet when she was older. Mother reached down and slipped it over her wrist.

Polly put a large gold cross in JonBenet's hands. During the time I had cancer, Father Rol had performed a healing service for me and had given me a cross that had been blessed by Native Americans in South Dakota, where he had formerly pastored a church. Later I had found gold crosses similar to that one at a jewelry store in Boulder and bought those crosses for my mother and sisters. Polly had worn the cross through some difficult times; JonBenet would wear it forever.

Pam had brought JonBenet's Little Miss Christmas Tiara, which she had won during December's pageant competition in Denver. Now Pam bent over and lovely placed the crown on JonBenet's head.

Then it was John turn. He had recently purchased a beautiful silk scarf, and he tucked it around JonBenet as if surrounding her with a final blanket of love.

DOI (HB) Page 40

"Suddenly my friend Priscilla White rushed in. She and Fleet had found Sister Socks, a stuffed kitten that was so dear to JonBenet. I couldn't believe that Priscilla had the gray-a-white cat. I had asked to have the toy brought from the house in Boulder, but the stuffed animal that was given to us earlier was the wrong one. Priscilla knew that, and somehow, even though she was now in Atlanta, she had gotten hold of the right Sister socks, the one with the red ribbon around it's neck. I tucked Sister Socks under JonBenet's right arm."

DOI (HB) Page 104-105

"Unknown to the parishioners, Pat Korten, the media relations guy, had let the media know that we would attend church that day. He had been hired by our attorneys to answer the hundreds of media requests for information which had started to clog their switchboard from day one. Pat had made a deal with the media. "The "Ramseys will walk out of the front door of the church and give you plenty of time to video them. In return, you need to agree to leave them alone in the future." All was agreed to, but we later realized it was impossible to get a consensus agreement from a mob like that. Pat later told us, "The media were going to be there anyway, scrambling for photos, so we might as well try to make it non confrontational."

"Following the recessional hymn, John and I started toward the front door to go down the walk that would lead to the parish hall, where most of the congregation traditionally stopped for a cup of coffee and a few words of fellowship. Bishop Underwood led the way in front of us. We stopped at the top of the stairway leading from the church, knowing that we were going to get caught on camera, but also knowing we had agreed to get caught. A woman crouched down in front of us with a monster camera. To this day I'm not sure how she managed to walk backwards with her knees bent and that big camera on her shoulder. Slowly we made our way down the walk over to the parish hall. There were several verbal altercations as photographers tried to break through the wall of parishioners who lined the walks."