Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In senate questionaire
10. Wolfv. Ramsey, Case No. 1:00-cv-1187-JEC, 253 F. Supp. 2d 1323 (N.D. Ga. 2003).

This was a civil case arising out of the widely-publicized and unsolved murder of six-year old JonBenet Ramsey, whose body was found in the basement of her parent's home in Boulder, Colorado. The plaintiff, Mr. Wolf, sued the Ramsey parents based on allegedly defamatory statements that they had made indicating their belief that he should be considered a suspect. The plaintiff contended that the Ramseys necessarily knew that he should not be a suspect because they knew that they had murdered their own child or, at least, knew that someone, other than the plaintiff, was responsible for the murder. I granted summary judgment for the Ramseys as the material evidence presented by them, and not disputed by the plaintiff, could not, as a matter of law, give rise to an inference that they had killed their child. My decision was based only on the civil record before me, which did not include the police investigative reports. The plaintiff had made little to no effort to adduce any facts in support of his contentions and my Order did not profess to answer definitively the question of who had murdered the child.