Dec. 05, 1997 - Ramsey Update #61
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 5, 1997
Leslie Aaholm, Media Relations, 441-3090
Jennifer Bray, Media Relations, 441-3090
Ramsey Case New Release Index
Commander Mark Beckner’s Statement to Media on December 5, 1997
(Ramsey Update #61)

Good morning. Here in support with me today are the investigators that make up our investigative team. They are: Case Supervisor, Sgt. Tom Wickman; Detective Tom Trujillo; Detective Steve Thomas; Detective Jane Harmer; Detective Ron Gosage; Detective Kim Stewart; Detective Carey Weinheimer; and Detective Michael Everett.
The purpose of today’s news conference is to provide an update on the investigation into the JonBenet Ramsey homicide and to put to rest some of the speculation that has occurred. As you know, the investigative team was restructured approximately 9 weeks ago and is now operating out of the police department under my direction. Two of my objectives are to keep the team focused and to move the case forward to a point at which a decision can be made. I am very pleased with the progress we have made in meeting those objectives.
During these past 9 weeks, we have taken the time necessary to review the information and evidence that has been gathered to date. A review of the case was necessary for two reasons. 1. To provide me the opportunity to become familiar with the facts of the case and 2. To have an understanding of what still needs to be accomplished and to know where to go from here. It became clear additional work is still ahead.
First, we have reviewed and updated a case management task list to identify and assign tasks that need to be completed as part of this investigation. That task list currently consists of 72 items. Of those 72 items, 28 have already been completed and about a dozen or so others are in the process of being completed. Of the remaining task list items, some are in process and others are yet to be started. It is important to understand that this is an evolving list which sometimes grows as additional information is uncovered. Investigation often leads to additional investigation. With the complexities involved in this case and the number of people that have been interviewed, it is easy to understand how time consuming an investigation of this nature can be.
Some examples of the tasks that have been recently completed include:
  1. The re-interviewing of some significant witnesses.
  2. Additional consultation with forensic experts.
  3. We have reviewed close to 200 video tapes that were taken from the Ramsey home.
  4. We have also completed a review of the computer files taken from the Ramsey home.
  5. We have completed a review of all trace evidence gathered in the case and have identified some additional testing that is needed. We are in the process of getting this testing completed. However, most of this work must be completed by outside agencies. When this occurs, it takes time to get results back, sometimes weeks or even months.
  6. We continue to review all information and tips that are received.
Some examples of tasks yet to be completed include the following:
  1. The re-interviewing of other identified significant witnesses and neighbors.
  2. The collection and analysis of additional evidentiary items.
  3. The completion of all forensic analysis.
  4. One of the most important tasks yet to do is the re-interviewing of some family members specifically Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey and their son, Burke Ramsey. We have made a formal request for these interviews and expect this to be completed in the near future.
We are confident that once all our identified tasks are completed, we will be in a position to make a decision in this case as to the next step. There are several options;
  • We could seek an arrest warrant and prosecution
  • We could ask for a grand jury investigation, or
  • We could inactivate the case until such time that additional information becomes available.
What direction we take will depend on the facts of the case as they are developed and on the level of cooperation we receive from witnesses. While I can not give you an estimate of how long it will be until we reach a decision point, I can tell you that we are going to be focused and aggressive in moving this investigation forward. Regardless of what has happened in the past, we are only looking forward with the goal of solving this case. Our investigative team is dedicated, committed, and positive in their approach. I have been very impressed with the work they have done and continue to do and greatly appreciate their dedication.
I would also like to take this time to say that since my assignment to this investigation, the relationship with the District Attorney’s office has been positive and professional. I have had regular contact and conversations with Pete Hofstrom. They continue to provide counsel and advice in this investigation that has been very helpful. I have been impressed with the commitment and dedication of the District Attorney’s office and appreciate the help they have provided. Let me also say that we have not yet submitted a case for prosecution, nor have we prepared an arrest warrant. The investigation is still ongoing and we are still making progress.
Boulder Police Investigators Assigned to Ramsey Case

Commander Mark Beckner, 41, is managing the Ramsey investigation. He has served with the Boulder Police Department 19.5 years.
(Ramsey investigators are listed in the order introduced by Commander Beckner)
Detective Sgt. Tom Wickman, 44, is the case supervisor. He has served with the Boulder Police Department for 19 years.
Det. Thomas Trujillo, 36, is the lead investigator and has served with the Boulder Police Department for 12 years.
Det. Steve Thomas, 35, has 12 years of law enforcement experience and has served with the Boulder Police Department for 7 years.
Det. Jane Harmer, 35, has served with the Boulder Police Department 11 years.
Det. Ron Gosage, 31, has 10 years of law enforcement experience and has served with the Boulder Police Department for 5 years.
Det. Kim Stewart, 37, has served with the Boulder Police Department 7.5 years.
Det. Carey Weinheimer, 33, has 11 years of law enforcement experience and has served with the Boulder Police Department for 7.5 years.
Det. Michael Everett, 33 has served with the Boulder Police Department for 10 years.
-- CITY --