The earlier 911 call
During the Christmas party on the night of December 23rd, 1996, someone from the Ramsey house dialed 911 and then hung up.

No one publicly claimed responsibility for that call, but it has generally been accepted that the call was made by Fleet White - a mistake, not a call for help.

The police responded to the call. They rang the doorbell which was actually linked to the landline phone.  The phone was answered by a child who then gave the phone to Susan Stine.  She assured the police that everything was fine, there was no trouble there, and that ended the conversation. At that time Susan asked the other guests if they had called 911 and no one took credit for the call, but later Fleet said it may have been he misdialed.  

Some have speculated that the call was made by the killer who wanted to see how quickly police would respond to a 911 call.  

Personally, I really don't see that happening.  The killer, if he intended to leave that ransom note and actually take JonBenet from her house, would have already been far from the house when the note was found - - so what difference would it make if the police responded in 2 minutes, 10 or 20?  

Fleet White's mother was ill in another state and he was on the phone discussing and arranging necessary treatment options.  The phone had several lines out and it may be that he instinctively pressed 9 for an outside line (I really don't know) but accidental 911 calls are not at all rare or evidence of guilt.

I was asked about this call so decided to include the information here.  If anyone has something to add, post it or let me know via email.  jameson245@aol.com