Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EARLY 1997 - before anniversary news
Ramseys attend church
By JASON GEWIRTZ and ALLI KRUPSKI
Camera Staff Writers
Monday, January 06, 1997
Seeing an entire congregation lined up to greet her family as they exited St. John's Episcopal Church, Patsy Ramsey stopped and gazed appreciatively through her dark sunglasses.
More than 100 congregants formed two rows to show support for the grieving Ramsey family and shield them from the watchful eyes of the media. The family of JonBenét Ramsey walked between the churchgoers to a reception following a Sunday service that included the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Colorado.
It was the first public appearance of the Ramseys since their return Friday to Boulder after the burial of the 6-year-old beauty queen in Marietta, Ga., on Dec. 31.
Meanwhile, police issued a written list of questions to the parents Sunday, sources close to the investigation said.
"They're mostly housekeeping questions, like a list of handymen," a source said. "They're things like "Does someone deliver milk to your house? Have you had package deliveries in the last week?"
The couple will provide written responses to the questions before police formally interrogate the family. Officials, however, have not scheduled an interview with parents John and Patsy Ramsey or identified any suspects.
Patsy Ramsey called police about 5:30 a.m. on Dec. 26 after she discovered a 3-page ransom note demanding $118,000 on the back stairs of her home at 755 15th St.
John Ramsey and a friend later found JonBenét strangled in the basement. The killer had sexually assaulted the girl, covered her mouth with duct tape, looped a nylon cord around her neck, and fractured her skull.
John Ramsey is president of Access Graphics, a Boulder-based computer distribution subsidiary of Lockheed-Martin. Patsy Ramsey is a former Miss West Virginia and active volunteer.
On Sunday, John, Patsy and their 9-year-old son, Burke, attended the service at their Boulder church. They and others listened as Bishop Jerry Winterrowd of the Episcopal Diocese of Colorado assured them their faith will carry them through the "evil time" of the ongoing investigation and speculation into the slaying of JonBenét.
"Our God, who is scandalized by this evil that has been done says do you have faith, do you have trust in me to overcome," Winterrowd said. "The cross is the only response to this blatant act of evil."
"We conclude today the celebration of Christmas and this is another reason I wanted to be here with you," he added.
The Rev. Rol Hoverstock of St. John's offered a brief but powerful statement in support of the family as police continue to investigate JonBenét's death.
"There is no way in my mind that they were ever part of this evil," Hoverstock said during the service.
As people left the church, they were greeted by a row of television cameras positioned along Pine Street. The Ramseys, offering no comments to the media, then made their trip through the two rows of people. Several churchgoers confronted videocamera operators afterward without incident.
Media representatives also gath ered outside the Ramseys' home Sunday. The police released the house Saturday night.
Several trees and shrubs sparkled with Christmas decorations and lights Sunday evening. One tree in the front lawn has become a shrine to JonBenét. Adults and children have left gifts at the crime scene for the former Little Miss Colorado, including stuffed animals, a blue balloon, guardian angel pins and letters.
"I just came because I think what happened is absolutely tragic," said Lara Weissmer of Boulder. "My 7-year-old (daughter) didn't know JonBenét, but she and I wanted to leave something for her, letting her know we'll really miss her. The world is just an emptier place with one less child in it."
Private investigators hired by the Ramseys entered the house throughout the day, as onlookers drove by and stared.
Boulder police detectives, who interviewed at least 30 friends, family and associates in Atlanta, returned to Boulder on Sunday.
Kelvin McNeill, city spokesman, said Sunday officials signed the search warrant police used to enter the Ramsey house Dec. 26. Now that police have completed their investigation of the house, they have about 10 days to file the original affidavit showing cause for the warrant with the Boulder court that issued the warrant.
But McNeill said that affidavit can be sealed if it can be shown the information in its release would jeopardize the successful completion of the case.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the tip line (441-4310). Police also have established a toll-free hot line: 1-800-444-3776.

Messages In This Thread
EARLY 1997 - before anniversary news - by jameson245 - 05-08-2017, 05:48 PM