Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patsy in interview
TT:  Okay. How about December 25th, Christmas day. How did that start out? Who got up first and that sort of thing?
PR:  Uh, well, the kids came up and woke us up and John went down, he went to get everything ready, you know, get the lights on, get the music on, you know. . .
TT:  Um hum.
PR:  . . .uh, I think he, he said he had, he brought he, Santa Claus Brought me a bicycle so he had to go get that under the tree. . .
TT:  Okay.
PR:  . . .and then we all went down and, into the living room. That’s where we had the Christmas.
TT:  Okay. Big tree in the living room. Okay. Because I know there’s kind of trees all over.
PR:  Right.
TT:  What, what do you normally store the Christmas presents say before the 25th.
PR:  I the basement. I had them all in the basement.
TT:  Okay. Because there were some extra Christmas presents. Who were they for? Do you remember?
PR:  Well, I had, I had some uh, bagged up and kind of ready to go up to the lake.
PR:  We were going to the lake the 26th.
PR:  Michigan. And I had Melinda’s and Stewart’s and John Andrew’s.
TT:  Okay. Those were the presents that were down in the cellar still?
PR:  Uh. There were probably were some down there.
PR:  I don’t know when you mean down still.
TT:  Um, on the 26th there was still some presents downstairs.
PR:  When, uh, I was, if there were I don’t remember, I had them kind of. . .
TT:  Kind of all over the place?
PR:  . . .you know, all over, yeah. And I had, uh, I know I had a (Lego?) set down there that I had gotten for Burke’s birthday which was in January, so I. . .
PR:  . . .I had that there kind of back, held back.
TT:  Okay. Why don’t you walk me through the rest of the 25th. What all did you guys do that day?
PR:  Well, I continued to wrap some presents. I went back down to the basement on the washing machine area there and wrapped for taking the stuff to the lake . . .
PR:  . . .and the kids were playing with there toys and the Colby kids were over and some other little new kids that moved in a couple of doors up uh, where the Whites had. . .
PR:  . . .rented a house two doors up the hill.
TT:  Towards Baseline?
PR:  Towards Baseline.
PR:  Uh, south I guess that is. Um, there were just kids all around, you know, they all playing with all their stuff and . . .
TT:  Quite a few kids in the house, around the house?
PR:  Yeah, right.
TT:  Okay. And then about what time did you guys go over to the White’s house that night?
PR:  Um, um, dinner timeish, you know, five or six or something like that.
TT:  Al right. What did you guys do at the White’s house, kind of, how many people were over there?
PR:  Well, that whole group of her family was still there. . .
PR:  . . .and uh, you know what? I think Heather did not come to our party cause she was, had a cold, but she rallied and was there for dinner at Fleet’s house.
PR:  Um, so, you know, all of them were there.
PR:  And we. . .
TT:  (Inaudible)
PR:  . . .were all there, yean.
TT:  About what time did you get home from the Whites that night?
PR:  Well, we stopped a couple of places on the way home to drop off Christmas gifts.
PR:  By the Walkers and the Stines.
PR:  And I imagine it was about nineish, something like that.
TT:  Okay. Sometime, nine, after nine, something like that?
PR:  Some, yeah.
ST:  (Inaudible) um.
TT:  Question?
ST;  Uh,    quick quick question. Give me some more detail Patsy, if you will, on, on the daytime and afternoon of the 25th. Um, we sort of moved quickly to that evening but, but uh. . .
PR:  Yeah.
ST:  . . .walk me through that day.
PR:  Well, we opened our presents and uh, try to have them do it slowly so it doesn’t it’s not over with in five minutes, you know, and we all opened our things and then we had breakfast and uh, I was packing, as well as wrapping gifts that day. We were, we were going to go to the lake on the 26th so I was putting a few things together for that trip and um, and trying to get the presents together to take up there and then I was packing our suitcases to go, we were going to go on a Walt Disney cruise on. . .
ST:  Big Red boat?
PR:  Bid Red boat. On my birthday, the 29th. So I was, had summer clothes, trying to get all that ready, so uh, and packing and uh, I think I colored my hair that afternoon, like with one of those quick, you know, uh. . .
ST:  Everybody stayed home the whole day. No trips out on the 25th prior to going to the Whites?
PR:  Uh, John, I think went out to the airplane to kind of, he always kind of checks, checks it out.
ST:  Prior to a flight?
PR:  Yeah. So he went out there that afternoon and the kids were just in an out playing and playing with their, JonBenet was making this little jewelry things and Burke had this car that he was playing with.
ST:  So you and the kids were home the whole day . . .
PR:  Yes.
ST:  . . .prior to going to the Whites and John returned from his short outing. . .
ST:  . . .uh, and that was his only trip out that day?
PR:  As best I can remember. Yes.
TT: Okay. Actually, let’s start back on the morning of the 25th, um let’s kind of break it down into small hours. What time did you guys get up that morning.
PR: Early.
TT: Okay.
PR: (Inaudible)
TT: Before sunrise?
PR: Sixish probably.
TT: Okay. Patsy, take me through say the first three hours of, of Christmas morning with you and John and Burke and JonBenet. Kind of, kind of in a by minute, step by step of what you guys did for the first couple or three hours.
PR: Well, we went down the stairs and passed out Christmas presents.
TT: About how long did it take you to pass out Christmas presents? I know you talked about you kind of did it slowly. . .
PR: Yeah.
TT: (Inaudible)
PR: Right.
TT: About how long did that take?
PR: I don’t know. Hour, maybe.
TT: Okay. Um. . .
PR: I mean to pass them out and opening them. I try to get everybody to take turns, you know. Of course, their piles are bigger than my pile so . . .
TT: Um hum.
PR: . . .they open two or three and then I open one. . .
PR: . . .just, you know.
PR: Cause I take so long to open mine.
TT: You want to savor the moment for a little bit.
PR: Right. Um hum.
TT: What was John wearing when you guys came downstairs that day? What kind of clothing was he wearing?
PR: His pajamas and his robe probably.
TT: Okay. What were you wearing that day?
PR: Pajamas and my robe.
TT: Didn’t get cleaned up or showered or anything like that?
PR: No, no, no, no, kids won’t let you do that.
TT: All righty. Um, what, what are the kids wearing?
PR: Pajamas.
TT: Okay. What kind of pajamas does Burke normally wear to bed?
PR: Oh, you know, cotton shirt and pants.
PR: knit kind of stuff.
TT: Okay. Do you remember what color of pajamas he was wearing that day?
PR: That he was wearing?
PR: No, not exactly.
TT: Okay, how about JonBenet. What kind of pajamas was she wearing?
PR: She was wearing, that day, she was wearing pink little kind of insulated underwear sort of . . .
TT: Tops and bottoms.
PR: Tops and bottoms, you know.
TT: Okay. Take you back how to open presents between seven, 7:30, what did you guys do after you open the presents up.
PR: Uh, I think we made pancakes.
TT: Okay. Had some breakfast? Um, about how long did it take to eat breakfast?
PR: I don’t know, a half hour.
PR: Seemed like that.
TT: After, after breakfast how did the family split. What did you guys do?
PR: Oh, the kids were just playing with their stuff, you know, and I was, I don’t remember exactly.
PR: I was, you know, trying to get clothes ready to go two different places. I remember that.
PR: And then a bunch of kids started showing up to, you know, they want to see what each other got and, you know. Burke set up his Nintendo. Nintendo 64 and . . .
TT: During the early morning hours, the morning hours before the kids got there, did everybody go and get dressed I take it?
PR: At some point in the day, yeah.
TT: Okay. Uh, everybody take showers and baths and everything to get cleaned up for the day.
PR: I don’t remember. Doubt if the kids did. I don’t remember.
PR: They’re not interested in baths usually.
TT: Okay. So everybody just got dressed and then kids started coming over to the house?
TT: During the day, about what time did uh, John go down to the hanger and check on the plane?
PR: Oh, I don’t know. I don’t know, lunch time, after lunch, I, I don’t remember.
TT: Okay. Did you have lunch that day?
PR: I’m sure we did.
TT: Okay. Do you have any idea about, what did you have for lunch.
PR I don’t remember.
TT: About how long was John gone when he went out to check the plane?
PR: Oh, probably a couple of hours.
TT: So he left about noon, afternoon sometime. Gone till two, 3:00 in the afternoon?
PR: Um, yeah.
TT: Okay. And were there, there kids over to the house that whole time playing with John, excuse me, JonBenet and Burke?
PR: Uh, a better part of that day I would say.
TT: Okay. And who all, who all was over to the house that day.
PR: Um, Evan and Ky Colby and um, these new little kids from up the street.
PR: I don’t know their names.
TT: Are they uh, a little girl and little boy or two little girls, two little boys?
PR: Uh, I know there were two little girls. One girl was kind of foreign looking sort of like she might be adopted or something and the other little girl was uh, I can almost remember her name? Seems like it starts with an M or I don’t remember.
PR: There were just a lot of, they were inside, outside.
PR: Playing with those, a bunch of the boys had gotten those cars, you know, the remote control and they were all out playing with those.
TT: Okay. Did uh, did Burke and JonBenet play together during that time? Did the little girls and little boys mix up at all?
TT: Play together.
PR: Yeah they were all, yeah, a lot of them were in Burke’s room playing that Nintendo and she was, I remember coming up there and checking on them and they were, the boys were mostly sitting around playing the Nintendo and she was, had this little jewelry making kit right there in the, in the doorway of Burke’s room there making . . .
PR: . . .so I made a couple with her. Um. . .
TT: Okay. During the time that John was gone, was that when you were wrapping the gifts and trying to get all the suitcases packed . . .
PR: Stuff ready, right, uh huh.
TT: . . .and stuff ready to go. Okay. And you wrapped the gifts downstairs?
PR: yeah.
TT: Okay. About how many gifts were you wrapping that day to get ready to go?
PR: Oh, I don’t know. A couple of shopping bags full..
TT: Okay. This is for John Andrew and Melinda. . .
PR: And Melinda and Stewart. Melinda’s boyfriend was going to be up there too.
TT: Okay. Where were you packing the suitcases there?
PR: Um, the suitcases for the cruise I think I was packing in John Andrew’s room which is that room up on the same area as JonBenet’s room.
PR: With the black bedspread on it.
TT: Okay. That’s John Andrew’s room?
PR: We refer to it as his room.
PR: Um, the guest room, whatever. Um, I had two or three black suitcases in there and I think I had my suitcase up in my dressing room. . .
PR: . . .packing.
TT: And were you packing suitcases for the trip to the lake separately or was that all together?
PR: No, it’s not together.
PR: Those were two separate trips. The lake I think I was just packing a plastic bag.
PR: Because we have clothes up at the lake and uh, just taking a few. . .
TT: Okay, where, was, where were you packing the plastic bag at?
PR: Um, if I remember right, I think it was uh, in the laundry room area, right outside JonBenet’s room.
TT: Okay. About what time did you guys end up heading towards the White’s house that night?
PR: Oh, about dinner timeish, five or six or something like that.
TT: Okay. Say between. . .
PR: This is on the 25th right?
TT: Right.
PR: Um hum.
TT: Say between three and six, by the time John gets home before you leave for the Whites, what kind of activities were you guys doing. What kind of, what was the family doing at that time?
PR: Um, I don’t remember. I just remember I was trying to get clothes ready for four people to go in two different places.
PR: Uh, and the kids were playing then I, you know, got them dressed and then we, they were in play clothes and so we changed and got cleaned up to go over there.
PR: And I think I colored my hair. I think I told you that.
TT: Um hum. So that was in the afternoon?
PR: And, and JonBenet, uh, you know, was getting cleaned up and. . .
TT: Okay. Did John help you get packed up at all?
PR: Uh, he, I believe, put some presents in the, in the Jeep.
TT: Okay. But he didn’t. . .
PR: Not the clothes.
TT: . . .pack his own clothes or anything like that?
PR: Oh, he probably would have packed his own clothes (inaudible) stuff.
TT: Okay. And do you know where he had that suitcase at that he packed his clothes at? Was that in the uh, John Andrew’s room?
PR: Um, no. It would, it would have been in his probably.
PR: I, I think I just had a couple of suitcase, the kids suitcases on the bed there, Burke’s and JonBenet’s.
TT: Okay. So you had Burke’s and JonBenet’s suitcases in John Andrew’s room, your suitcase was upstairs and John’s would have been upstairs too then.
PR: The best that I can remember, yeah.
TT: Okay. Right. You left, left for the Whites about five, 6:00, um, family of the Whites over there. Any other friends that weren’t related to the Whites or, or your family. Any other people over there at the White’s house that night?
PR: Uh, I don’t recall.
TT: Okay. So everybody’s, everybody’s pretty much related to the Whites.
TT: Was this kind of a spur of the moment or was it planned to go to the White’s house that night?
PR: It was planned to go there.
TT: Yeah.
PR: We had gone there last year, Christmas dinner.
TT: Okay. So it was kind of a, a yearly event then. Everybody was (Inaudible). . .
PR: Well now it was, second time if you call that. . .
TT: Starting to (inaudible).
PR: . . .saying to become yearly.
TT: Okay. Who all did you let know that you were going over to the Whites? Did you let the Barnhills know or anybody like that?
PR: Uh, I don’t remember. I think I, seems like I did call Betty that day to see if they had anybody over there with them or, you know, if they were okay or. . .
PR: . . .and I may have told her that we were going. I don’t remember exactly.
TT: Check to see if anybody had come over to visit the Barnhills.
PR: Yeah. I just wanted to make sure they had something to eat and all that cause. . .
TT Okay. About what part, what part of the day did you call Betty to make sure she’s okay?
PR: Um, sometime that afternoon.
TT: Okay. Okay. What did, what did you do at the White’s house that night?
PR: We um, had dinner. I called Fleet’s mother, Fleet called his mother and I talked to her. She was ill. She was usually there, because Christmas is her big, she likes Christmas.
PR: And um, she was ill and I talked to her for quite some time.
TT: Okay. Where does she live at?
PR: She, there from California, but they have a residence in Aspen.
PR: And she was in Aspen.
TT: Okay. So give me kind of a step by step, get to the Whites 5:30, 6:00, 6:30 whatever, what time did you have dinner that night? What did you do before dinner after dinner?
PR: Well, we had um, I think we had cocktails, kind of, she had some cracked crab left over from their Christmas even dinner and we sampled some of that and I remember she kind of, for some reason, made a little plate for JonBenet or I remember her making a special plate for JonBenet for some reason so she would have some crab. . .
PR: . . .cause my kids like seafood and uh, we nibble on that and I uh, we had dinner and I can’t remember what we had.
TT: Okay. Was it like a buffet, sit down, what kind of dinner was it?
PR: I just, I just, I don’t know. I can’t remember.
TT: Okay. Was it a formal plates around the table type. . .
PR: Well, we had, she usually puts up several tables in her living room. She had several tables in her living room, in her dining room. Just were, thee were a lot of us there and uh, we sat at the table, you know, she had a place for everybody.
PR: And uh, she had little gifts for the kids. They had these little paper jewelry things that JonBenet and Daphne got and um. Fleet and John were down on the floor helping them make those.
PR: Jewelry things.
TT: Okay. About how long did you stay at the White’s house?
PR: Oh, several hours, you know, I, something like 9:00 or so, eight.
PR: Eight or nine. We had to get up early so we didn’t. . .
TT: Stay out too late?
PR: . . .stay really late.
TT: Okay. So, other than the dinner with the little gifts, any other social activities go on that night, caroling or just socializing? What else happened?
PR: Uh, I think some carolers came. Some neighbors came to the door caroling and Fleet, big Fleet and little Fleet, I think went out with them for a little bit. Um, maybe Daphne went with them.
PR: Maybe, I don’t know. I think some of them went out and sang a little bit with them and . . .
PR: . . .came back in.
TT: JonBenet and Burke go out with them to carol?
PR: I just can’t remember.
TT: Okay. Got home about 8:30, 9:00. What’s the fist thing you guy do when you got home that night? Actually, let me step back. Before you got home you went over to . . .
PR: Walkers and dropped of a little gift.
PR: And Stines and dropped off a little gift and drove home and JonBenet was asleep. She had fallen asleep in the car.
TT: Did you have to wake her up to get her inside or. . .
PR: Well, she was just really zonked and John carried her up to her room.
PR: And I uh, you know, ran up behind him and, or in front of him, I can’t remember. Maybe, or it might have been in front of him to turn the bed down.
PR: And he laid her down and I got her undressed and put her, I left her shirt on her and uh, went in the bathroom and tried to find some pajama pants and all I could find was some, like long underwear pants. . .
PR: . . .and put those on.
TT: What color of top did she wear to bed that night? What color top was she ww3earing actually to the White’s house like?
PR: Well she wore this little outfit that I had gotten her at the Gap. We had a little, little riff over that, cause I wanted her to wear, I was wearing a red sweater and I wanted her to wear this red sweater with her black velvet pant, cause I was wearing black velvet paths and it was Christmas and all that.
PR: And she didn’t want to wear the red shirt just because I was wearing it. She wanted to wear the shirt that went with the outfit which was a Gap outfit that I had bought her when we went shopping for her and it was a little white, kind of neck like this, kind of a . . .
TT: Kind of a crew neck?
PR: . . .crew neck and it had a little, little rhinestone, little kind of sequin kind of star thing on it.
PR: So I just left that on her.
TT: Okay. And I’m sorry. What kind of pants, what color of pants. . .
PR: They were black velvet. Black velvet jeans, kind of like, from the Gap. Some little black velvet vest.
TT: And what were you wearing Patsy, a, a red turtleneck and black. . .
PR: Velvet jeans, yeah.
PR: Velvet pants. And I have a Christmas sweater I was wearing.
TT: And what color was that?
PR: Red with all kinds of . . .
TT: And that was over the turtleneck.
TT: Okay. Okay. What did, what did Burke wear over to the White’s house that day?
PR: Oh, I don’t remember. I don’t remember.
TT: Okay. What about John? Remember having any idea what he wore that day?
PR: Um um. Unless I try to match us up I can’t remember.
TT: Okay. Formal, informal?
PR: Oh, it was casual yeah.
TT: Okay. Jeans type thing?
PR: Oh. . .
TT: (Inaudible)
PR: . . .no, no, I think it probably, I would have him probably him a khakis or something a little cleaned up.
TT: Okay. What did JonBenet wear on the night of the 25th with her little outfit as wear as, as far as shoes go, her footwear?
PR: Probably the, I don’t remember exactly, but she had these little black boots with zip up front that kind of went with that outfit. That’s what she normally wore with that, so I think she probably wore those, but I can’t remember exactly.
TT: When you say you wore black velvet jeans were those like a, a, were they a jean material like a 501?
PR: No they’re, no, no, no. They’re black velvet.
PR: But they’re not dress pants they’re. . .
TT: Did you wear uh, uh, flats or, or . . .
PR: Shoes you mean?
TT: . . .boots, or, what did. . .
PR: Oh yeah.
TT: . . .you have for footwear.
PR: Uh, I don’t remember. I don’t remember exactly.
PR: Black something probably.
TT: Black something?
PR: Black.
TT: To go with the black belt?
PR: (Inaudible)
TT: So John carries JonBenet upstairs, puts her to bed. You pull up the bed sheets. You find this top for her to wear or you just. . .
PR: We just left her top on her.
TT: . . .you leave the top on. . .
TT: . . .uh, find a pair of. . .
PR: bottoms.
TT: . . .bottoms for her to wear. Um, did she wake up at all during this?
PR: No.
TT: Stayed pretty crashed out?
PR: Uh huh.
TT: Okay. Sounds asleep the whole time then.
TT: Okay. Sound asleep the whole time then?
TT: Okay. What did Burke do? Did he fall asleep on the way home also?
PR: No.
PR: He didn’t. I think he was, he’s still wanting to play.
TT: Okay. What did Burke do when you got home then.
PR: Um, I don’t remember exactly, but I think he went to go play with something. I think maybe he and John were fussing with something. A toy he wanted to put together or something.
PR: I was trying to finish putting together things for in the morning and. . .
TT: Okay. Finish kind of packing, again the suitcases on the bed. Were they all finished, packed up?
PR: Um, probably pretty close to it.
TT: Okay. And then the close to go to Charlevoix those were. . .
TT: . . .in a plastic bag.
PR: Plastic bag. Um hum.
TT: And they were already to go? You said you carried down to (inaudible).
TT: Okay. Burke and John go downstairs to play?
PR: No, I don’t really, don’t remember where they were. I was, after I got her ready for bed I just kind of ran about doing my last minute things and. . .
TT: Okay., What kind of last minute things did you have to take care of?
PR: Well just, you know, presents. I mean, I put some presents by the back door and I don’t remember exactly, just things to go to the lake or, and so we’re doing a couple of, you know, getting things ready cause we were leaving so early in the morning. . .
PR: . . .getting things kind of laid out ready to go and that kind of thing.
TT: Okay. Do you have clothes laid out for JonBenet to wear in the morning? Did you lay her clothes out?
PR: Uh, I don’t remember laying them out, no.
TT: Okay. What about Burke? Same thing with him. Did you lay his clothes out or anything for the morning?
PR: I don’t remember dong that.
TT: About what time did you head up to bed that night?
PR: Um, probably around 9:30, 10:00 something like that.
TT: Okay. Um, did you guys try to wake up JonBenet at all or did she. . .
PR: She was zonked.
TT: Sound asleep. Didn’t wake up at all?
TT: Was she awake at all when you were over at the Stine’s house?
PR: Uh, well, I just went to the door. We didn’t all go in. I just went to the door. . .
PR: . . .and gave them a basket of something. . .
PR: . . .for a Christmas present or something. We were going, I remember, cause I had a big basket in the car to take to the Fernies, but since JonBenet had fallen asleep and it was getting kind of late. . .
PR: . . .I think we just decided not to go to the Fernies.
ST: Yeah and uh, just for the transcriptionist, this is Tape 2, Side 1.
TT: Patsy, do you have any idea what time uh, Burke went to bed that night then? (Inaudible) him and John playing someplace?
PR: Yeah, they, yeah, I don’t know exactly.
TT: Okay. What time did John go to bed that night? Do you remember hearing him come upstairs at all.
PR: Yeah. I remember him coming to bed. I don’t know what time it was. It was shortly after I came to bed.
TT: Okay. That night were you able to sit up and read after you kind of took care of things. Get things ready in the morning. Go up to your room. Do you have any time to read at all that night?
PR: I don’t, I’m sure I had time to read, but I don’t know. . .
PR: . . .whether I did or not.
PR: I think I, I think I just, you know, pretty much went to sleep. I can’t, I just can’t remember.
PR: I know I was reading a book. I was working on a book, but I don’t think I. . .
PR: . . .remember if I read that night or not. I don’t know.
TT: So you go upstairs, jump into pajamas go into bed. Did you have to take off your makeup, take off your jewelry. What’s that whole sequence?
PR: (Laughs)
TT: I don’t wear a lot of makeup, so it’s hard for me to know how often you have to do that.
PR: Oh, I probably washed my face, brushed my teeth.
TT: Okay. What’s your normal get ready for bed routine I guess is what I’m asking?
PR: Um, take my makeup off. Brush my teeth.
TT: Okay. Take all your jewelry off then.
PR: No, I don’t take them off.
PR: Sometime, I mean, it depends on what I have on, sometimes I take it off, sometimes I don’t, but . . .
ST: Okay. Uh, what time did you get home on the night of the 25th.
PB [sic]: I don’t know exactly, but it was, you know, it was nineish probably. I don’t I didn’t, not remember looking at my watch or anything.
ST: Okay.
PR: It was dark.
ST: But it was shortly thereafter uh, at some point, that uh, JonBenet was put to bed um, you and John went to bed uh, I noted that uh, I had a question. Who put Burke to bed or did he put himself to bed that night?
PR: Um, I don’t know. I did not put Burke to bed.
ST: Okay. Is it typical that, that he can go to bed on his own.
PR: Well, typically one of the two of us put, put them to bed so, I, I think John was playing something with him. One of this Christmas things and he, very likely, put him to bed.
PR: I did not so I don’t know.
ST: But John, and you to an extent, but JonBenet to bed, uh, by carrying her to bed because she was asleep or out.
PR: She was sound asleep.
PR: He carried her and put her in bed and I got her, you know, pulled off everything and put her, I left the shirt on and put the pants on.
ST: And remind me, what shirt did she go to bed in? Was that the same shirt that she wore to the Whites that night?
PR: Yes.
ST: The red, uh . . .
PR: no it was white.
ST: Okay. And then those little white sort of thermal bottoms?
ST: is that right? And what was your goodnight routine with JonBenet in her room on the night of the 25th? Did, John was getting her down. Did you simply peak your head in or how long were you in the room with John.
PR: Oh, he just walked in and laid her in the bed and then I, I, he left . . .
ST: You took it from there?
ST: And that consisted of simply getting her under the covers.
PR: Well, I changed her and took the black velvet pants off and found those, those long underwear pants and put on her.
ST: Okay. Turned off the light?
PR: Uh, the light in her bedroom was not on. I believe that bathroom light, we usually left the bathroom light on.
ST: As a nightlight?
PR: Or a nightlight. She had a little lamp in there. We either left that on or the bathroom light on in her room.
ST: Okay. Um, do you recall that night leaving a nightlight on for her?
PR: I mean, I just can’t remember exactly, but very likely I did.
ST: Do you know uh, when you left the room, John had laid her down and then you changed her into some different clothing, put her under the covers or put her into bed to sleep for the night?
ST: Do you remember how you left the door into her room when you left the room? Did you leave that open or closed or cracked?
PR: I usually leave it cracked a little bit.
ST: Okay. And is that your recollection on that night?
ST: Okay. And then retrace your step for me, then did you go up and go to bed?
PR: I don’t think I immediately did. I, I uh, you know brushed my teeth and got ready for bed and I think, I think I got, a coup, you know, some presents ready to go and just kind of a couple of things. Yeah, I’m sure I was getting ready to leave early the next morning?
ST: Did you change out of the clothes or the pajamas or whatever you wear to bed during your nighttime routine, brushing your teeth . . .
ST: . . .and washing your face?
ST: Um, did you ever go back and check on JonBenet again after you pout her down and turned out the light and closed the door, um, that time?
PR: I don’t believe I did.
ST: Did John ever go back in?
PR: I don’t, I don’t know.
ST:  Okay. Um, it was how long after you put JonBenet to bed, did you then retire into bed for the evening?
PR:  I don’t know exactly. Maybe half hour I think, I don’t, I can’t remember exactly.
ST:  And it was shortly after you went to bed that John then came to bed?
ST:  And during that half hour, 45 minutes, after you put JonBenet to bed, and that you were still up, uh, arranging presents, brushing your teeth, you don’t know uh, whether or not John went back into JonBenet’s bedroom?
PR:  Um, no.
ST:  Would it have been unlikely for him to have gone back in and awakened her for any reason?
PR:  Oh, yeah. It would have been unlikely.
ST:  Okay. Can you give me, to the best of your memory, if you got home at nineish, was it shortly after coming home at nineish that you put JonBenet into bed? That John carried her, or John carried her up and put her to bed.
PR:  Yeah it was, I mean, he carried her from the car to her bed.
ST:  So, were you in bed then, and I don’t want to put words in your mouth, by ten or 10:30 or what time, if you can reconstruct that, did you then go to bed?
PR:  I was probably, probably in bed by then. Ten or 10:30
ST:  Okay. And when you say. . .
PR:  I can’t remember exactly.
ST:  . . .John came to bed shortly thereafter, do you recall if that was 15 minutes or a half an hour?
PR:  It was probably just a few minutes.
ST:  Okay. You were still awake?
PR:  I was, yeah, I could, was aware of him, you know, getting in bed, but . . .
ST:  And are you a sound sleeper?
PR:  Fairly.
ST;  And prior to December 25th were you on any sort of sleeping medications?
PR:  No.
ST:  Any medications whatsoever? Other than vitamins or over the co8unter?
PR:  No.
ST:  Is John a fairly heavy sleeper?
PR:  Yes, I would say, he snores (inaudible).
ST:  When John gets up during the night on occasion is he does to use the bathroom, for example, does that awaken you? Are you aware of when John leaves the bed.
PR:  Um hum, usually.
ST:  And is John aware when you leave the bed?
PR:  I don’t know if he’s aware when I leave or not?
ST:  Okay. So on the night of the 25th at some point, Burke went to bed, it’s possible or likely that John checked on him and made sure that he was down . .
PR:  Um hum.
ST:  . . .but, John had put JonBenet into her bed and she never awakened the whole time from the car to bed that night.
PR:  Not that I real no.
ST:  Did that concern you at all or was that common with a, a six-year-old baby?
PR:  She just, she was really zonked.
ST:  A long Christmas day. She had been up early opening gifts.
PR:  Yeah (inaudible).
Later in same interview....

TT: Patsy, let’s go ahead and um, start out on December 26th when you first woke up in the morning . . .
TT: . . .and again as you (inaudible) on the 25th, kind of give us a, almost a play by play, minute by minute, what did you do when you got out of bed? Where was John at? That sort of thing. All the way through the morning to the afternoon. Let’s kind of take it, we’ll take it in little chunks.
PR: Okay. Um, we got up at about 5:30, I think. I think John got up first and I got up just right behind him and he went to his bathroom and shower. I went to my bathroom. I did not shower that morning and I just put my clothes on and uh, did my hair and makeup and uh and then I started down the stairs, John was still in the bathroom and went uh, I stopped kind of briefly there in the laundry room area um, and I remember the ironing board was up I think and I fussed around with this little red jumpsuit of JonBenet’s cause it had, had some spots on it and I was going to remember to do something with that when I got back and uh, so I had, I had the light on in there in the laundry room area and uh, um then I started down the spiral staircase there. I came, I had come back down, I’d come down the back bedroom stairs there. . .
PR: . . .from my bathroom. Um, I started down the spiral stairs and when I got nearly to the bottom I saw these three pieces of paper, like notebook size paper, on, on the run of the stairs and uh, I went on down and turned around and started reading, reading it. . .
PR: And uh, I, I remember reading the first couple of lines and I kind of, didn’t know what it was or uh, and then I (inaudible) you know after the first couple of lines I, it dawned on me, it said something about, ‘We have your daughter’ or something . . .
PR: And I uh, I ran back upstairs and pushed open the door to her room and she wasn’t in her bed.
PR: And I uh, screamed for John. He was up in our bedroom still and he came running down and uh, I told him that there was a note that said she had been kidnapped. And uh, uh, I think he, he said, I said, ‘What should I do. What should I do,’ or something and he said, ‘Call the police,’ and I think somewhere, I remember I said something about, you know, check Burke or something and I think he ran back and checked burke and I ran back down the stairs and then he came downstairs. He was just in his underwear and he uh, took the note and I remember him being down hunched on the floor read, with all three pages out like that reading it and uh, and he said, ‘Call 911’ or ‘Call the police,’ or something and then I did. I called them and uh, and then I called the Whites and the Fernies and told them that she had been kidnapped or said come over quickly or something and they came over and the policeman came and uh, then the Whites and the Fernies were there and uh . . .Oh, I think the policeman was asking, you know, he kind of like, I think he kind of got us (inaudible) in the sun room or something.
PR: That little room, patio room. . .
PR: . . .off the living room and trying to calm us down or something and uh, I think, I think John uh, by that time read and, that they wanted money or something and, and uh, he, I think he had called uh, Rod Westmoreland, our friend and our stock broker in Atlanta.
PR: To see about getting that money together and uh, and I think two other, two ladies came that were social workers or something, came and uh, Linda Arndt came and some more policemen. Uh, and, oh, there uh, something in the note about they were going to call. I think it said they were going to call sometime in the morning. And Linda Arndt and some of the policemen were, they were going to set up uh, tape recording or something up in the TV room, phone back there. And they were, I think they were busy doing that and Father Rol came over and uh, praying that she would be all right and uh, uh I think initially right away we, we thought that um the cleaning lady was somehow was, you know, John mentioned that I had told him about that she had called and wanted that money and all that . . .
PR: . . .and uh, I think I kind of looked at the writing and thought maybe it might have looked a little like hers or some, I don’t know, but I think they were rushing around and trying to find out where she lived and . . .
PR: . . .uh, you know, there was a lot of talking about her and her, everybody, her family or something. And uh, and . . .
TT: Patsy, let me back you up just a little bit. Um, actually to the, to the very beginning of the morning. You and John woke up. (Inaudible) Did you have an alarm clock set or anything?
PR: Uh, I think he had it set, but I don’t think it went off. I think we woke up about, you know, I don’t remember it going off or anything.
PR: I think he just maybe might of, I don’t know how you can turn it off.
TT: Okay. So, John’s alarm I set.
PR: Yeah. It’s on his side of the bed.
TT: You don’t have an alarm that was set on your side of the bed at all?
PR: Hum um.
TT: Okay. Got up, got dressed. Do you remember what you wore that morning?
PR: Black velvet pants and my red sweater.
TT: Okay. Now you went downstairs. When you stopped there at the laundry room . . .
PR: The laundry room.
TT: . . .you stopped at the ironing board and laundry area, was JonBenet’s room, do you remember if the door was opened or closed at that point in time.
PR: It was, it didn’t strike me as unusual, you know, I . . .
PR: . . .and I think it was open just a little bit like I would have left it.
TT: Okay. And that’s, that’s kind of normally how she sleeps with the door kind of . . .
PR: Um hum. A little bit open.
TT: Just a little bit open.
PR: Cause I usually leave a light on in that hallway area there. Either the stairs sconces or the, there’s a light in where the washing machine is . . .
PR: . . .right there, you know.
PR: So.
TT: Do you remember with the door being open just a little ways, of there being any lights on in JonBenet’s room.
PR: I don’t remember.
TT: Don’t remember whether there was anything that was illuminating out of that room.
PR: Now her, her main light was not on, you know her lamp was not. . .
PR: When I opened the door I could just tell that she wasn’t in her bed.
TT: Okay. Actually let me back up just a bit. Main light as in the lamp. . .
PR: Like the lamp on, yeah.
TT: . . .next to her bed. She (inaudible) overhead lights.
PR: That lamp beside her bed.
TT: Okay, so that was not on?
TT: Okay, um, what was you going downstairs for? At the very beginning. You get dressed, come downstairs, stop at the ironing board. Why were you heading downstairs in the, the very beginning?
PR: Oh, to make coffee and kind of get a little breakfast ready and just kind of, we were getting ready to, I mean we had to be at the airport at, you know, I think we were going to take off at seven or something like that.
TT: Okay. So you were going to get to the airport about, a little before seven so you could take off at seven?
PR: Yeah, we were going to get there about a half hour before.
TT: Okay. How strict are the takeoff times when your taking off? I mean, do you have to be there and the plane have to leave at seven by the gates . . .
PR: No, no.
TT: . . .or you guys got a window there?
PR: Yeah, there’s a window (inaudible).