Denver, CO 80203
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:Re: JonBenét Ramsey
Dear Governor Romer:
You may need to order an investigation into the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's handling of the handwriting evidence in the murder of JonBenét Ramsey.
Sometime last March, Boulder police submitted a search warrant affidavit to a Michigan judge seeking permission to search the vacation home of John and Patsy Ramsey for handwriting exemplars. According to Boulder police, a preliminary report by C.B.I. had determined that Patsy Ramsey was "probably" the ransom note writer, hence the need for more unrehearsed samples of her handwriting.
Three months later, CBI issued a report to the Boulder police that reportedly concluded that their analysis "does not exclude" the handwriting of Patsy Ramsey as the ransom note writer. As Ramsey attorney Patrick Furman was quoted to say in the Rocky Mountain News: "the finding of ‘does not exclude’ is one step away from clearing her of authorship." Defense attorney Hal Haddon remarked that the CBI level of assessment of Patsy Ramsey's handwriting "has no evidentiary value, because a lot of people write similarly."
The question for you, Governor, is how C.B.I. could issue a final report which was so dramatically different from their earlier preliminary report. Patsy Ramsey went from "probably" being the ransom note writer in March to "she didn't write it" in June. What's going on here?
This development is especially disturbing in light of the fact that of all the handwriting experts I have consulted -- and there have been over a dozen -- not one of them could believe that any reputable handwriting or document examiner could reach any other conclusion than that Patsy Ramsey wrote the ransom note. It wasn't even a close call.
Three of the questioned document examiners I consulted have prepared lengthy handwriting reports which clearly show Patsy Ramsey as the ransom note writer. I have enclosed them for your convenience. They were prepared by Thomas C. Miller, a Denver attorney and certified court handwriting expert, David S. Liebman, the president of the National Association of Document Examiners, and Cina L. Wong, the youngest board certified document examiner in NADE history, and considered by many to be the Henry Lee of handwriting examiners.
If after reading these reports you have as many unanswered questions as I have about the disparity between CBI’s conclusions and those of the enclosed experts, you might decide on an investigation. Before the Oklahoma Bombing, no one knew the terrible trouble the FBI crime lab was in. The O.J. Simpson case exposed the L.A. crime lab for the mess it had become. Perhaps the JonBenét Ramsey case will bring some needed light into the dark corners of the CBI forensic handwriting division. According to published reports, Ramsey defense attorneys hired the former teacher and mentor of CBI's handwriting division as an expert "consultant." You can start your investigation right there and keep on going. Who knows what you might find.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sincerely,
Darnay Hoffman
encs.
cc.: Gale Norton, A.G.