Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ransom note and the Movie Connection
Ransom (1996)

Story Lines
Specified denomination of bills and type of container for delivery of the ransom
The delivery of the ransom requires extreme physical exertion [The RN encourages John to be well-rested]
The child is bound with his hands placed above his head
Duct tape is used on the child
The child's parent is a wealthy businessman who can fly his own plane
The kidnapper employs counter-surveillance
Similar Phrases
"Do not involve the police or the FBI. If you do, I will kill him."
"Do not inform the media or I will kill him."
"No tracking devices in the money or the cases or I will kill him."

Ruthless People (1986) 

Similar Phrases
"Mister Stone. Listen very carefully." 
"We have kidnapped your wife."
"We have no qualms about killing and will do so at the slightest provocation. Do you understand?"
"I have no patience for stupid questions, Mister Stone, and I donÂ’t like repeating myself. Do you understand?"
"You are to obtain a new, black, American Tourister briefcase. Model numbereight-one-o-four. Do you understand?"
"In it you will place five hundred thousand dollars in unmarked, non-
sequentially numbered one-hundred dollars bills. Do you understand?" 
"Monday morning, at eleven A.M., you will proceed, with case in hand, to Hope Street Plaza and wait for a phone to ring. You will receive further instructions then. Do you understand?"
"You will be watched at all phases of execution. If anyone is with you, or if any action is not carried out to our complete satisfaction, it will be
considered an infraction of the rules, and your wife will be killed. Do you understand?" 
"If you notify the police, your wife will be killed. If you notify the media, she will be killed. If you deviate from our instructions in any way whatsoever, she will be killed. Do you understand?"

Speed (1994)

Story Lines
Specified denomination of bills and type of container for delivery of the ransom
The kidnapper employs counter-surveillance
Phrases
"You know that I'm on top of you. Do not attempt to grow a brain." [RN states: "Don't try to grow a brain John"]

"Mind Hunter," by FBI profiler John Douglas. 

In chapter 16, there is a case of a young girl who is kidnapped, sexually assaulted, and suffocated with duct tape. When the killer called the mother, he began with the words "listen carefully." The same two words begin the ransom note." 
Others have speculated that the references to "John" in the RN were to John Douglas rather than John Ramsey, i.e., that the writer was deliberately taunting FBI profilers.
Seven (1995)

Story Lines
Police drama about two cops, one new and one about to retire, after a serial killer using the seven deadly sins as his MO.[JBR may or may not have been killed by a serial killer; elements of "staging" suggest there may have been something symbolic about her death in the mind of the killer].
Phrases
Killer: "I'm setting the example. What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever." [JBR's killer may have been implicitly trying to "send a message" about the U.S. "we respect your business but not the country that it serves." Alternatively the killer may have been bothered by little girls being beauty pageant queens, although this theme is not mentioned in RN].
Killer: "Wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll notice you've got their strict attention." [JBR was dealt a savage blow to the head, one that would fell a 350 lb. lineman, far more than what was needed for her to die. If the point of this blow was to send a message, however, one would have expected it to be externally visible, which it was not. On the other hand, an extremely experienced or far-sighted killer would have known the public shock value of learning this fact at the autopsy.]. 
Killer: "It seems that envy is my sin." [The allusion to "fat cat" in the RN suggests the killer may have been envious of JR; on the other hand, it's not clear the killer would have been self-critical enough to label his/her behavior as envious]. 
Nick of Time (1995)
When Aired. "On the night JonBenet was murdered, the movie 'Nick of Time' aired at 7:30 P.M. on a Boulder cable channel....Bill Cox, who was staying with Fleet and Priscilla White, told the police he remembered watching the movie that night." (Schiller 1999:225t).
Story Lines
"The story centers on an unarmed political faction that kidnaps a six-year-old girl." (Schiller 1999:225,).
Similar Phrases
"The victim is told, "Listen to me very carefully.'" (Schiller 1999:225,)