from the TimeLine
Carol McKinley reported that screams in the basement might well have been missed by parents sleeping on the third floor, far removed from the basement room where JonBenét lost her life.  I want to report that after doing sound experiments in the house, I agree.  I took turns with others - one would go to the bedroom and the other would remain in the basement and rap a flashlight around in that duct pipe - barely any sound was heard in the third floor bedroom.  But my own voice, a soft voice, clearly carried out the duct pipe - people from CBS were walking from the Ramsey house to the Stanton house to listen as I banged the pipe with the flashlight.  They didn't get to the road when they laughed and declared that the sound could CERTAINLY have been heard - they could hear me talking to the producer - a private conversation carried to the front yard by the megaphone in the window. THE SCREAM and SCRAPING SOUNDS

Officer Harkopp spoke to Melody Stanton.  She and her husband live to the southeast of the Ramsey home, across the street. She told him she heard a blood-curdling scream from the Ramsey home. It stopped soon after it started. Melody woke her husband, Luther, but he heard no scream. Melody heard nothing more, but her husband did - and this is very important - he heard "the sound of metal clashing against cement". These sounds were not reported in the press until nearly a year later when Jeff Shapiro canvassed the neighborhood and wrote the story for the Globe.

Could this have been the sound of a grate being dropped back into place as the killer fled?  No, it was a repeated sound.  Shapiro described it to me as like the ping of something being hit again and again.  Some suggest it could have been the sound of a grate being moved, inch, by inch.  No one knows for sure what it was.  Luther heard that sound, but Melody did not. She went back to sleep. That being the case, there was time between the scream and that noise - long enough to end a life, move her body to the windowless room and then exit.

(Were fibers or trace materials found on the window ledge, on the concrete ledge outside? We know the window was taken as evidence, and the grate, but we have no lab results nearly three years later.)

The police DID do experiments to see how sound traveled in the house and neighborhood. The police made noises throughout the house and investigated who could hear what from where. The surprise is that a scream in the basement COULD be heard far better across the street than from the master bedroom . It was reported that sounds actually traveled throughout the pipes in the house and exited from the roof, wafting through the air to the neighbors' houses. Meanwhile, the floors, walls, carpeting, curtains, furniture, even the decorative material hanging from the ceiling around the head of JR and Patsy's bed muffled the sound.

personal comment - ò¿ó - The above paragraph was written more than 6 months before I went on a tour of the Ramsey house.  When I went to the house, I found something that had NOT been reported earlier. - - -                               .

There is a basement window in the front of the house.  A duct pipe leads into a small block room - the room that holds the small furnace, hot water heater, and a chest freezer.  That duct is not connected to ANYTHING on the inside - it is simply a 90 degree  bend and connects to nothing.  Further, it was not blocked in any way.  Totally open.

A scream in that room would be carried out of that basement by that pipe - by a pipe as effective as any megaphone in existence.

jameson photos 
The room beyond this window holds a small boiler, a hot water heater, and a large chest freezer.  The freezer is just to the right of this pipe, sideways, and there is not enough room in there to walk around it.