Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From the TimeLine
December 24th, 1996
Christmas Eve
Time??? - John Andrew arrived in Atlanta, Georgia to spend Christmas with his mother and sister, Melinda.

As in all homes, Christmas Eve is a time of anticipation and hard work. Linda Pugh says she called Patsy to see if she was needed to clean after the party. Patsy said no.
It was then, according to Linda, that she asked for a $2000.00 loan and Patsy immediately agreed. (Rumors said the loan was to help Linda's older daughter and her boyfriend. Linda later said she asked for the loan because she needed to pay her rent and some bills.  In the Ramsey book, Patsy said it was to pay rent.) They agreed that payment would be taken out of her checks in the following weeks. The loan check was to be left on the counter and picked up by Linda later.  The check was never made out, Patsy found the ransom note before then.
Keeping the kids occupied and content while making sure the Christmas preparations are complete is always a chore. For a good part of the day, JonBenét was not at home but at the home of a little girlfriend. She played the day away.
Later, after the murder, Barbara Kostanick, the mother of her playmate would call the police more than once and request to be heard. She felt that the police should listen to her about JonBenét's last full day alive; maybe she could help the investigation by telling what she knew. JonBenét was a talkative child - she talked a lot about things that were happening in her life.
JonBenét was expecting a magical Christmas. Maybe her childish chatter held clues to what happened later. The police were apparently not eager to go to hear her. It took more than one call to be included in the investigation, and then she felt they came with no interest - the policeman who went to her door seemed uninformed and unprepared for asking questions.
JonBenét told her playmate and her mother that Santa had promised to make a very special visit to her after Christmas. Barbara pointed out to JonBenét that Santa would be visiting everyone that night, but JonBenét insisted Santa had promised HER a VERY special visit beyond that.
personal comment - ò¿ó - JonBenét told her friend's mother that she was expecting a "special" visit from a certain individual - it seems unbelievable to me that the police were disinterested in this information.
Patsy was busy - there were gifts to be dropped off, visitors to greet, last minute errands to run, especially since the family would be leaving Boulder the morning after Christmas to spend time in Charlevoix.
Patsy sent out her annual Christmas letters - one to Bob Anderson of South Charleston, W.Va., once a business manager of Patsy Paugh Ramsey's.
Anderson -"Patsy said JonBenét was enjoying her first real year in school and that she had already been moved ahead in first-grade math. She said her daughter enjoyed participating in talent and modeling pageants. She said JonBenét was named Royale Tiny Miss and Colorado Little Miss Christmas."
Anderson then quoted from Patsy's letter: "Her (JonBenét's) teacher says she's so outgoing she will never have trouble delivering an oral book report."
Patsy sent out her annual Christmas letters on December 24th. They would arrive at many homes on the day after Christmas, just hours before the calls came to tell them JonBenét was gone.
Dear Friends & Family,
It's been another busy year at the Ramsey household. Can't believe its almost over and time to start
again!
Melinda (24) graduated from Medical College of Georgia and is working in Pediatric ICU at Kennestone Hospital in Atlanta. John Andrew (20) is a Sophomore at the University of Colorado.
Burke is a busy fourth grader where he really shines in math and spelling. He played flag football this fall and is currently on a basketball binge! His little league team was #1. He's lost just about all of his baby
teeth, so I'm sure we'll be seeing the orthodontist in 1997!
JonBenét is enjoying her first year in 'real school.' Kindergarten in the Core Knowledge program is fast paced and five full days a week. She has already been moved ahead to first grade math. She continues to enjoy participating in talent and modeling pageants. She was named "America's Royale Tiny Miss" last summer and is Colorado's Little Miss Christmas. Her teacher says she is so outgoing that she will never have trouble delivering an oral book report!
John is always on the go traveling hither and yon. Access recently celebrated its one billion $$ mark in sales, so he's pretty happy! He and his crew were underway in the Port Huron to Mackinac Island yacht race in July, but had to pull out mid way due to lack of wind. (Can you believe that?) But, his real love is the new 'old looking' boat, Grand Season, which he spent months designing.
I spend most of my 'free time' working in the school and doing volunteer work. The Charlevoix house
was on the home tour in July and will likely appear in one of the Better Homes & Gardens publications in
1997. On a recent trip to NYC, my friend and I appeared amid the throng of fans on the TODAY show. Al Roker & Bryant actually talked to us and we were on camera for a few fleeting moments!
We are all enjoying continued good health and look forward to seeing you in 1997! One final note ... thank you to all my 'friends' and my dear husband for surprising me with the biggest, most outrageous 40th birthday bash I've ever had! We'll be spending my actual birthday on the Disney Big Red Board over the new year!
Merry Christmas and much love,
The Ramseys
John Andrew was in Atlanta, Ga. to spend Christmas with his mother and sister, Melinda. He arrived in Atlanta on the 24th and he and Mindy would be leaving Atlanta on the 26th (with Mindy's boyfriend, Stewart Long) to join JR, Patsy, Burke and JonBenét in Charlevoix, MI.
There was time for a short family holiday before school resumed on January 6th.
Donald Paugh was in Atlanta to spend Christmas with Nedra and his two other daughters, Pam and Polly. Polly was married and had a young son.
(Donald Paugh had an apartment in Boulder where he stayed for work.)

5:00
Twilight service at St. John's Episcopal Church in Boulder. JonBenét sang in the Children's Choir that night. The Ramseys sat near the back but walked to the front and accepted communion as a family.
The congregation sang Silent Night.
After dinner at Pasta Jay's Restaurant, the Ramseys went to the White's house for a few minutes, then they drove around Boulder enjoying the lights and decorations.
They drove up a windy road to see the Boulder star.  JonBenet was unhappy because the family did not hike up the hill to sit in the star.
9:00
The Ramseys were home for the night, the kids were tucked into bed with visions of bicycles, dolls, legos and nintendos dancing in their heads.
John Ramsey crossed the street to the Barnhill house and removed JonBenét's Christmas bike from the garage. He brought it home and placed it under the tree. Soon after, other gifts filled the room.
Sometime later - John and Patsy climbed the stairs to their third floor bedroom, satisfied that Santa had done his job well.