Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Douglas book Mindhunter
2000 "The Cases That Haunt Us" by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker

Page 298

"Upon meeting John Ramsey, I informed him who I was, shook his hand, and expressed my sorrow for his loss. As it turned out, there was some significance to the fact that neither he nor Patsy knew who I was. Subsequent to this, several sources, including Detective Steve Thomas, reported that Mindhunter, the first book I wrote with Mark, was on John Ramsey's nightstand. In this book we deal with staging crime scenes, and some speculated that one or both of the Ramseys had read it and "learned" how to outwit investigators to make it look as if someone from outside had killed their child. First, I have to say that they--or anyone else--would not have learned this from reading the book. We didn't write a how-to-course, and any good investigator would see right through such a primitive attempt. Morover, much as we would like to think that everyone has read our books and knows who we are,
Mindhunter was not there on John's nightstand or elsewhere in the house, and I looked through the place pretty carefully. Believe me, as an author you learn to spot your books anywhere and everywhere. And it was not on the long police list of items removed from the house, although a "Dave Barry book about cyberspace" was. This is just one small example of the mountain of erroneous information that has come out about this case. While I understand that John read Mindhunter after meeting me, he was completely unfamiliar with my work at the time of the crime."
Excerpts from National Enquirer book, "JonBenet, The Police Files" by Don Gentile and David Wright

1998 June 25, 26, 27 - Taped Interrogation interview of Patsy Ramsey by Tom Haney and Trip DeMuth in Colorado

NE Book Page 224:

Trip DeMuth: "Now, in the house in addition to several bibles, you had a ton of books. Let's talk a couple of minutes and talk about some of those, some which you may know something about, maybe you don't. How about the book 'Mindhunter?'"

Patsy Ramsey: "No."

Trip DeMuth: "Do you recall that? Do you recall seeing it around the house?"

Patsy Ramsey: "Huh uh."

Trip DeMuth: "Where you not reading?"

Patsy Ramsey: "No"

Trip DeMuth: "Is it a book by John Douglas?"

Patsy Ramsey: "I don't know."

Trip DeMuth: "Do you know who he is?"

Patsy Ramsey: "John Douglas, I know."

(Notations in italics by Don Gentile and David Wright from 'The files of the National Enquirer: "Early in the case, former FBI profiler John Douglas, the inspiration for the profiler in the Hannibal Lector books and movies, was asked to question the Ramseys by their attorneys. He believes they are innocent. His book, 'Mindhunter' has a section about the way killers stage a crime scene to cast suspicion elsewhere."

2000 May 9 - Live Chat with former Detective Steve Thomas on About.com

crimeADM: "Was a copy of Mindhunter found in the Ramsey home?"

SteveThomas: "Ramseys deny it, apparently. Sgt Tom Wickman, who came back to take charge of the original crime scene, says it was there."