FBI Gregg McCrary
Former FBI agent McCrary said there isn't one piece of evidence pointing to anyone other than the family. He - and police - believe the ransom note was a carefully planned deception.
"The crime is very revealing," McCrary said. "What we have here is an inordinate amount of time the offender spent in that house. The child was murdered in the house. The child was assaulted in the house. The ransom note was written in the house. The child was strangled with a paint brush from the house. That's where to look for the killer."
McCrary said investigators have to overlay the facts of the case on the statistical probability pointing to the parents.
"Anything is possible - aliens could have come down," McCrary said. "But when an offender stages the scene, it's to deflect the investigation away from them. Without the staging, (the Ramseys) are the immediate suspects."
Denver Post Feb. 18, 1998 - Even though the latest book on the JonBenet Ramsey investigation has created a media maelstrom, experts say it will have little effect on the case, now before a Boulder County grand jury.
Lawrence Schiller's book, "Perfect Murder, Perfect Town,'' goes on sale today, but some of the more interesting passages have been previewed in newspapers and magazines and on radio and television.
Former FBI profiler Gregg McCrary, who has been tracking the case since 6- year-old JonBenet was found beaten and strangled Dec. 26, 1996, said jurors probably won't be swayed by the book. It chronicles a rift between police and prosecutors and includes allegations that District Attorney Alex Hunter tried to smear a police commander by giving information about him to a tabloid reporter. Hunter has declined comment.
"I don't know this grand jury, but I've certainly seen a lot of them,'' McCrary said. "In general, jurors are very conscientious. I don't think it's going to sway or move them.''
But McCrary, who was interviewed for the book, said he doesn't want to make any predictions on the outcome.
"The one thing that has been absolutely correct in this case is that anyone who tried to make a prediction has looked stupid,'' McCrary said.