Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jameson's back

This photo was taken in Boulder, Colorado in the winter of 1998. I was there working on a David Mills documentary.

I like the photo because there are 15 stories connected to that trip - and the photo reminds me of every one.
Local JonBenét Ramsey historian to present theory on case, discuss Hickory connection
Jordan Hensley jhensley@hickoryrecord.com

Did you work at Shurtape in Hickory in 1996? Did you know someone in 1996 who has ties to Hickory and Boulder, Colo.?
Jameson wants to know, because that person may know who killed JonBenét Ramsey.
For the first time, Hickory-resident Susan Bennett, who goes by the online name of Jameson, will be doing a public presentation on the case at the Patrick Beaver Library in Hickory at 6 p.m. on Monday, March 25.

On Dec. 26, 1996, 6-year-old JonBenét Ramsey was found dead in the basement of the Boulder home she shared with her parents and older brother Burke. A ransom note, among many other pieces of compelling evidence, has made JonBenét’s case one of the most famous and internationally known cold cases of all time.
Many believe JonBenét’s parents, John and Patsy Ramsey, killed her. Jameson doesn’t.
The Hickory Daily Record profiled Jameson in December 2018, outlining her long history with the case as historian, amateur investigator and former suspect. In 1997, Jameson’s posts in online forums on the case caught the attention of investigators and John and Patsy Ramsey.

The story of when the three met for the first time appears in Chapter 28 of the Ramseys’ memoir: “The Death of Innocence: JonBenét’s Parents Tell Their Story.”

Jameson says her presentation will show how the intruder theory is the only credible theory and Hickory’s connection to JonBenét’s murder involving Shurtape.

The presentation will include a question-and-answer portion, and refreshments will be served. No photography will be allowed.
Jameson runs two websites on the case: jameson245.com and webbsleuths.org.

Jameson asks if anyone has any tips about the case, to email her at jameson245@aol.com or call the Boulder Police Department at 303-441-1974. Anonymous tips can be made to Boulder Police by calling 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
Jordan wrote a story about me in December of 2018. I had hoped she would write a story on the tape but that proved illusive so she did a piece on me. I did not give her an interview on that subject, the piece is not altogether flattering - - but that's OK. She did her best and in the end, her story pushed me to work a bit harder myself to get the story out on the tape and the fact that it was made right here in MY city, just a few miles from my house.

The power point presentation covers a lot of information and I believe it is going to make a lot of people take notice, especially as the plan is for this to be repeated in other venues.

I am most looking forward to the Q&A session. New eyes and ears may bring new ideas and perspectives to the table. They may bring in new leads and names we never considered. The case can still be solved. I will do all I can to see that happen.
Hickory's connection to JonBenét Ramsey case focus of presentation
• Jordan Hensley jhensley@hickoryrecord.com
• Mar 27, 2019
JonBenét Ramsey’s killer may or may not have a connection to Hickory, but the tape found on her mouth does.
On Monday, local case historian and amateur investigator Susan Bennett, who goes by the online name of Jameson, gave a public presentation at the Patrick Beaver Memorial Library on how she believes the intruder theory is the only plausible theory. She also discussed Hickory’s connection to the case: the tape and herself.
Investigators Steve Thomas and Ron Gosage came to Hickory in 1997 to meet with Shurtape, as described in Thomas’ book: “JonBenét: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation.”
Thomas wrote their investigation determined the tape found on JonBenét’s mouth made up less than 1 percent of the company’s product due to the type of fabric and adhesive used.
“Detectives Thomas and Gosage visited Shurford (sic) Mills in Hickory, North Carolina, the country's largest manufacturer of adhesives,” Lawrence Schiller wrote in his book “Perfect Murder, Perfect Town.” “The FBI had determined that the tape allegedly removed from JonBenét's mouth had first been manufactured in November 1996 under the brand name Shurtape."
Six-year-old JonBenét was found dead in her parents' Boulder, Colo., basement on Dec. 26, 1996. She had been beaten, strangled and sexually assaulted. A ransom note found on the bottom steps of a spiral staircase in the Ramsey home insinuated JonBenét was kidnapped.
As of March 26, 2019, JonBenét’s killer is not behind bars.
While many believe JonBenét’s parents, John and Patsy Ramsey, killed their daughter, Jameson believes otherwise.
The Hickory Daily Record profiled Jameson in December 2018, outlining her long history with the case as historian, amateur investigator and former suspect. In 1997, Jameson’s posts in online forums on the case caught the attention of investigators and John and Patsy Ramsey.
Last week, a preview article teasing Jameson’s presentation generated much discussion and criticism on social media.
If you missed Jameson’s presentation, here’s what you should know:
Jameson’s credentials
What makes this woman from Hickory a credible source on the JonBenét case?
In 1997, Jameson began posting in online forums on the case, reminding other posters that the Ramseys may not be guilty. This caught the attention of John and Patsy Ramsey. The three met at a coffee shop in Atlanta in late 1997. Jameson said since then, she’s kept in contact with the Ramsey family.
In the early days, Jameson also befriended several investigators and journalists in Boulder, including Lou Smit. Smit was hired by the district attorney’s office in Boulder to assist in the investigation. Because of their friendship, Jameson has access to many of his files. Smit died in 2010 but always maintained he believed the Ramseys were innocent.
Jameson is mentioned in several books on the case, including John and Patsy’s memoir, “The Death of Innocence: JonBenét’s Parents Tell Their Story” and former FBI agent and founder of the Behavior Analysis Unit John Douglas’ book, “The Cases that Haunt Us.”
Over the years, Jameson has been contacted by TV producers, journalists and writers as a source on the case.
She runs two websites on the case: jameson245.com and webbsleuths.org.
The tape's connection to the murder
With the tape being manufactured in November 1996, Jameson finds it hard to believe it made it to the shelf of a hardware store in Boulder by December.
“I used to work in a factory,” she said. “... New stock is usually put behind old stock in a warehouse and on the shelves.”
It could have taken months for that roll of tape to make it to the shelf of a store if it was indeed put out for distribution, Jameson said.
Jameson said she’s spoken to people who have worked at Shurtape, who said it wasn’t unusual for staff to take product home with them.
Could a Shurtape employee have inadvertently supplied the killer with the tape? Possibly. “I’m not accusing anyone of anything,” Jameson said. “... But I think that’s a lead that should have been investigated more.”
The intruder theory
Jameson began her presentation by saying the Ramseys had no motive to kill their daughter. To support her theory, she cited several cases where parents killed their children.
One of the cases she used as an example was Diane Downs, an Oregon woman who shot her three children because her new boyfriend did not want children.
Another case she mentioned was Andrea Yates, a Texas woman who drowned her five children. In the trial, investigators found Yates suffered from postpartum depression and schizophrenia. She had attempted suicide many times and was not supposed to be alone with her children at the time.
The Ramseys had no history of mental illness and neither John nor Patsy was having an affair, Jameson said.
Jameson then provided examples of children being abducted from their beds by an intruder.
One example was Jessica Lunsford, 9, of Florida. She was abducted from her bed by a neighbor, sexually assaulted and buried alive. Another example included John Brewer Eustace. He kidnapped 2-year-old Elizabeth Bradwell from a bedroom in Charlotte in 1997. Elizabeth was missing for three days before she was found alive in a neighbor’s yard.
Eustace was considered a suspect in JonBenét’s case but was cleared, according to the Denver Post.
Jameson believes someone had seen JonBenét out in public, decided she would be their victim to carry out a specific fantasy including bondage and strangulation. This person found out where JonBenét lived and started planning their crime, she believes.
The Ramseys admitted that it wasn’t unusual to leave many doors to their large home unlocked, and a window leading to the basement had been broken and left unrepaired in the weeks before the murder. This gave the intruder easy access to the home.
After spending Christmas morning opening gifts, the Ramseys got dressed to go to a friend’s home for a Christmas party. Jameson believes that’s when the intruder entered the home carrying a stun gun, rope and the tape. While the intruder was hiding in the house, they wrote the ransom note, which does not mention JonBenét’s name, only John’s.
The ransom amount, $118,000, was John Ramsey’s bonus that year, which was on pay stubs left lying in his office. Jameson says the intruder probably wrote the note after coming across one of those pay stubs. She also believes the note was part of the fantasy and it had to have been written before the murder.
When the Ramseys returned home, they put a sleeping JonBenét to bed and eventually went to bed themselves after taking care of their other child, 9-year-old Burke. Sometime in the middle of the night, the intruder used a stun gun on JonBenét to subdue her and carried her downstairs and murdered her.
Why the Ramseys are innocent, according to Jameson
The Ramseys, including Burke, were cleared by DNA tests in 1997, Jameson says. However, John and Patsy Ramsey were not fully exonerated as suspects until 2008 due to new DNA evidence.
Prior to that, a grand jury voted to indict the Ramseys on child abuse resulting in death and accessory to first-degree murder charges, but the district attorney chose not to prosecute.
Jameson reiterated the Ramseys had no motive to kill their daughter. There was no history of sexual abuse and while JonBenét did wet the bed sometimes, Patsy said it was not an issue.
Showing a crime scene photo of JonBenét’s bed, it did not appear she had wet the bed that night. JonBenét’s long johns were soiled though when her body was found, indicating she may have wet herself during the assault. Jameson said a urine stain was found in the basement near JonBenét’s body.
While the ransom note was written with pen and paper in the home, none of the Ramseys' handwriting matched the ransom note.
When it comes to the roll of tape used to cover JonBenét’s mouth, it was not located in the home or the garbage. Investigators determined no one in the home had purchased the tape.
Next steps
Jameson wants people who may have any useful information about the case to contact her. She would love to talk to people who worked at Shurtape in 1996. She also wants people to contact her if they know anyone who lived in Hickory or visited Hickory in 1996 who had connections to Boulder.
Jameson believes the intruder’s DNA will match the DNA found on JonBenét’s long johns and their handwriting will match the ransom note.
JonBenét’s case is complex and not every detail could be included in this article or in Jameson’s presentation. Independent research is encouraged.
Jameson asks if anyone has any tips about the case, to email her at jameson245@aol.com or call the Boulder Police Department at 303-441-1974. Anonymous tips can be made to Boulder Police by calling 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
That was in the paper two days after the presentation - - a long story for a follow up to a lecture at the library.

The meeting was well attended and there were a few people there who were a pleasant surprise.