old thread
"Stillwater"
Posted by jameson on Nov-13-99 at 10:25 AM (EST)

Quote:
From the Stillwater site:
A number of questions have been posed to us about the title of the book Quiet, Samantha Foster. We will address them now:
Samantha Foster is the fictional character that'll represent JonBenet. Jack and Peggy will represent her parents. Michael will represent her brother.
Why will the book be produced as a novel? It's the only way Stillwater gave permission.
Quiet, Samantha Foster - the book - will not be a tiring replay of everything you know. The author felt too much had been already written about the murder of JonBenet in that manner. In this book, the author wanted to take a whole different tack. The novel will answer the questions of why, how, and who killed JonBenet by answering the same questions for the murder of a 6-year-old Samantha. The protagonist in the novel will be Michael Foster, who will be 15 years old instead of Burke's 9. Everything you see will be seen through the eyes of this boy. The reader will travel with him through, first, the wonderful times of a closely-knit family, then through the darkest moments of a horrific crime committed against his baby sister, through trauma, anguish, and torment toward resolution and truth. The journey will be devastating, the conclusion, in this case, even worse. That'll be the nature of Quiet, Samantha Foster.
John Ramsey is wealthy and connected in Boulder, Colorado. Jack Foster, his counterpart, will not be wealthy but will be as well connected, only in a dissimilar way - he will be a respected police officer in Nassau County, New York. When a crime transpires in his home, he will be as unsuspected as John Ramsey was in his.
The general public does not consider Patsy Ramsey exceptionally intelligent, and they don't particularly 'like' her; in all fairness to Patsy this is the bias, after the fact, tainted also by her child-pageant involvements and the popular opinion toward them. Meanwhile, Peggy Foster will be presented to the reader as highly intelligent, a role model of a wife and a mother. All of this is done not for the sake of experiential diversity alone but, more importantly, to tell America and our insular selves that a crime of this kind and magnitude against an innocent child need not be an isolated event.
There are lessons to be learned from this murder for all of us, and the author will make you feel them intimately and deeply by taking you on a journey through the life of the Foster family, one that is wholly different from the Ramseys on the surface but, beneath that cosmetic outermost layer, is in so many ways no different from theirs, yours or mine. And all of that through the eyes of a boy - the other unspoken victim that we have so easily forgotten.
So much for this being a book that will solve the Ramsey crime. Like the Wallington book, the Wecht book and the Stobie book, this will be pure crap.
Can't the publishers start taking responsibility for some of the stuff they put out? Damn, this stuff is sickening - media whores dancing on the grave of a child.
These people didn't know the child, they don't know the case and they are simply cashing on on someone's misery. Sick.
1 . "Nah, at least they tell you"
Posted by Maikai on Nov-13-99 at 10:49 AM (EST)
it's fictional....unlike the other books that have come out as gospel. Sounds to me like some pseudo-intellectual wannabee is behind it...and using the website to drum up interest.
When I was in Boulder I picked up a couple recent mystery books by local authors at the Rue Morgue Bookstore:
"Remote Control" by Stephen White---story of a Boulder clinical psychologist, Dr. Alan Gregory where a shocking act of violence plunges him into one of the most challenging and dangerous case of his career, involving two women. One is the daughter of an assassinated US official, whose life is threatened by a mysterious attacker--the other Alan's wife, associate DA who has been arrested on suspicion of murder.
(Author is a clinical psychologist and lives in Denver)
"Render up the Body" by Marianne Wesson---decomposed young woman's body is found in the mountains of Colorado. A suspect is arrested. Long before the suspects arrest, Cinda Hayes had become disillusioned working as chief sex crimes prosecutor for the Boulder County DA's office---a job muddled by too many calculating egos, too much machismo, and not enough decency.
(author is a former federal prosecutor and current professor of law at the U of Colorado Law School, where she has served as acting dean. She lives in Boulder)
There are many authors in the area that have published mystery books.
The Stillwater crap sounds like nothing more then someone's attempt to spin a theory.

[REMOVE] [ALERT] [EDIT] [SEND EMAIL] [USER PROFILE]
[REPLY] [REPLY WITH QUOTE] [TOP]

2 . "Supposed to be a joke?"
Posted by LovelyPigeon on Nov-13-99 at 11:49 AM (EST)
~"When a crime transpires in his home, he will be as unsuspected as John Ramsey was in his. "
Unsuspected? This author thinks John Ramsey was "unsuspected" in the death of JonBenét????
Yeah, it's a work of fiction alrighty.

3 . "So...."
Posted by jams on Nov-13-99 at 04:56 PM (EST)
...are we to believe that Stillwater is going to accuse John?
Quick, someone send in the answer to the puzzle and cash in on that trip to Paris with the Stillwater people...
No, don't. I would be worried about anyone I know traveling with those people... even if you are just cyber-friends, I wouldn't want to see you trusting your future to those people. *grin*

[REMOVE] [ALERT] [EDIT] [SEND EMAIL]

4 . "Pfffff!"
Posted by LovelyPigeon on Nov-13-99 at 08:58 PM (EST)
Who cares who they accuse...what a bunch of trash.

5 . "Now they have a bulletin board"
Posted by jams on Nov-13-99 at 10:29 PM (EST)
http://webboard.quietsamanthafoster.com/...timate.cgi

Personally, I won't post there - but I think some might want to read there. Some interesting stuff.

6 . "I read a little....that was enough"
Posted by Maikai on Nov-13-99 at 11:30 PM (EST)
for me. Not interested. How many forums can there be with the same ol' same ol'? I don't believe the other B.S. about the founders.

7 . "that forum"
Posted by jams on Nov-14-99 at 08:54 AM (EST)
I don't think I will go back - not enough time or interest - but it was interesting.
I think those people are doing a great job promoting a book - nothing more. I think their theory is wwrong and that perhaps Cyril Wecht is on their board. Enough to send me scampering...

8 . "From my email"
Posted by jams on Nov-14-99 at 11:13 AM (EST)
I've been checking out Stillwater and the guy who created it.
The Stillwater/Artemis site is a complete fraud. *******************************
I've checked him out. He's a guy named Waruna Patabendi who publishes his books
himself and sells them from a post office box near his home.
It's disgusting that this guy is trying to make money on the people who only
want to understand and help authorities investigate the death of a little
girl. He even has a "contest" to con people into believing his scam. There
is no contest registered with the State of New York where this jerk resides.
His site has no listing of rules or conditions, etc. for the contest.
I want to encourage as many people as possible to file complaints with the
New York State Attorney General online at:
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/internet_complaint to stop this creep from
defiling JonBenet further. You can also make complaints about the site
online at: http://www.fraud.org .
You can help stop this creep. Would you post my message to warn your members
about this guy and ask them to file complaints against him?

9 . "From apb book review"
Posted by jams on Dec-25-99 at 09:09 AM (EST)
Quiet, Samantha Foster (QSF.com, $3.99), due to be released Dec. 25, is a novel based on the JonBenet case and incorporates theories by the Stillwater Committee, an informal international group that follows major murder cases around the world.
Warren Patabendi, a broker in Long Island, N.Y., wrote the book and set the story in a middle-class Long Island neighborhood. He said he elected to tell the story from the perspective of the girl's 15-year-old brother in the hope that it might some day help JonBenet's older brother Burke remember details about the night of the killing that he may have blocked. The boy, who has been officially cleared as a suspect, was the only other person in the house besides his parents on the night of the murder.
Presumed Innocent plot alleged
Related Stories:
Boulder Braces for 'JonBenet: The Movie'
Book Offers New Insights Into Ramsey Case

Patabendi added that the committee has concluded that the Ramsey murder follows the same plot line as Scott Turow's best-selling novel Presumed Innocent, in which a wife frames her husband for a murder she commits.
"Stillwater believes that this is a Presumed Innocent plot that went wrong," he said.
The committee includes about 48 members, mostly doctors from Switzerland, France and Germany but also has members in the United States, Australia and Asia, Patabendi said. Each member pays $26,000 a year in dues that cover expenses for informants as well as travel to luxury vacation spots to meet and discuss cases with other members, he said.
"They may spend eight hours on the beach in Australia and four in discussions with other members," Patabendi said.

Sounds like we have a group of bored rich people who want to shake Burke into "remembering" their theory is right. *sigh*
As I told them in their forum - I am glad they are advertising their book as fiction.